New family member.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been nearly two years since our Dalmatian Raffles was put to sleep,but we have decided to have another pet dog and have been looking at our localish dog trust,and on Wednesday we were introduced to Jess who is a cross Collie.
On Wednesday she was very nervous and difficult to walk on the lead.
We visited her again today and she was lot better and has more confidence :D
We have now just got to wait for the vet to give her the all clear on Monday and we can bring her home. :D
Here is a piccy we took of her today :D

jesscopy.jpg

She looks a lovely dog Paul.

I hope everything goes well on Monday & that Jess makes a smooth transition into being a member of your family.

Doug.

Hi Paul,
She looks to be a smasher!
Fingers crossed for you for Monday.

I had a collie cross for 16years before she had to be put to sleep. A wonderfully faithful dog with unlimited energy. Hope you like walking :lol:

Malc :D

Lovely looking dog. What is she crossed with an idea?

She sits very upright like a setter?

Thank you all for your comments.
She is a lovely little thing and very nervous.The slightest loud noise made her cower,so we didn't have her off the lead,i think it will be a while before she is fully confident with her new surroundings,but by the time we left her today she was getting a lot better.Going again tomorrow to see her. :D
We are told that she might be crossed with a Spaniel,but no one is sure.
We are looking forward to the walks with her Malc,might keep me a bit fitter,not that i need to be :shock: :lol:
Here is another piccy of her with my youngest daughter by her.

jess1.jpg

Lovely looking dog Paul :D

Definately a bit of setter or spaniel in there as Matty said.

Cheers, Paul :D

Welcome to the forum Jess, you'll be in good company, the Girls already know how to keep Paul in his place. :lol:

Paul

She looks lovely and very observant , Give her 2 weeks in a loving home and I think she will be fine

Let her find her place in the new family 8)

Lovely dog, I think collie crosses are my favourite dogs. lots of energy and very attentive, plus more easily trained

lovely doggie - we rescued a collie last year ( i think you met her when i picked up the router table), they are easily trained, and very affectionate - but they do need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation ( mine gets 2 x 2 mile walks a day minimum plus a mini walk before bed time)

on the scaredy thing, they are quite highly strung dogs and if shes had a bad start in life.... it took mine about 3 months to settle down and she still cowers if i take my belt off - though she knows i'd never hit her with it , tho it sems that some dung did earlier in her life.

if you have any issues there is loads of good info in the collieforums
http://www.bordercollieforum.co.uk/

Rescued dogs are always a bit hit and miss. One I had chewed my motorcycle gloves the first evening, our present two were worse. One chewed the TV remote and my mobile and the other one blew up our caravan!
But you never know what they may have been through, a friend of mine has recently taken on a Husky, it was rehomed three times before he took it in.
Now they are inseparable!

Roy.

it might take a long time for her to settle and become a confident dog after who knows what she has been through but one thing is for sure is that this little dog has just won her lottery going to a new home where she will be cared for and loved - probably something she has never had.
good luck with your new family member :lol:

Digit":1h3j5wco said:
Rescued dogs are always a bit hit and miss. One I had chewed my motorcycle gloves the first evening, our present two were worse. One chewed the TV remote and my mobile and the other one blew up our caravan! But you never know what they may have been through, a friend of mine has recently taken on a Husky, it was rehomed three times before he took it in.
Now they are inseparable!

Roy.

thats some serious flatulence, what were you feeding it?

:lol: :lol:
What happened Moose was that my son and his missus were using the van whilst building work was going on. They had a 'ceramic' hob with shelves above, so my son cut a piece of MDF to protect it.
The dog likes to stand on his hind legs and look at what is going on on the work surfaces. The result was he turned the hob on!
The MDF appears to have given off fumes before bursting into flames. The resulting explosion tore the roof off and blew out the windows!

Roy.

Thank you Allen,IB,Pete,Roy,Paul.
Thanks for the link Pete might be spending some time on their :D
I must say that the dog trust were very thourough with getting the right dog for us.
We must have enquired and looked at about twenty dogs which for one reason or another weren't suitable for us,but this one just took to us straight away.
We were the fisrt to see her and she took to us after a little coaxing :D
Our first ever dog was a cross collie who we got from Barnes Hill dogs home in Quinton.
He was also a very very nervous dog when we first had him.
We only had to pick a paper up and he would dart under the settee.
But in the end he was the most loving playful dog you could have wished for.I think owning him was in our favour with Jess.

Back