New Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
Having bought a new lathe I have been on the look out for a suitable chuck for it, well one turned up last week on ebay, here it is, now in my shop. :D
3404658743_8916bdeac4.jpg

3405471794_ffd570b13b.jpg

Look like its never been used, no wood dust or shavings, still in the Axminster box. Current Axminster price £113 but only £63 including postage from ebay. 8)

hi dave i've been helping a customer of mine set up his first workshop- he's got one of these chucks- i have been very impresssed with it.

Nice one Dave - looking forward to the pics of the jobs as they come off the end of the production line now!

CHJ":1uq5jge9 said:
Corr you'll be bowling along nicely now Dave, Here's a project for you,save you no end of time in the long run.

Whilst this works great for a lot of things my experience (using dodgy wood as I do) is that occasionally this can vary as the optimal width for a tenon just ain't strong enough and I have to make it wider and be careful cutting or the tenon just pops off. DAMHIK

Pete

Bodrighy":2ygaqp28 said:
CHJ":2ygaqp28 said:
Corr you'll be bowling along nicely now Dave, Here's a project for you,save you no end of time in the long run.

Whilst this works great for a lot of things my experience (using dodgy wood as I do) is that occasionally this can vary as the optimal width for a tenon just ain't strong enough and I have to make it wider and be careful cutting or the tenon just pops off. DAMHIK

Pete

i'm not sure i follow you on this pete- all jaws have a optimal circumfrence when they are at there strongest (normally when their at most concentric) how can you adjust that?
if your trying to hold a huge piece on a tiny tenon theres no point in making the tenon larger as your jaws will have a weaker grip- ideally you need a bigger set of jaws.

as for chas's gauge idea- i find a steel rule suits me fine,but i dont use chucks allot most of my work is on faceplates.

The optimal grip is often close to a closed position, at leasty on my Nova. This gives me a tenon in the region of 50mm. I agree that the actual grip at this dia. is best but sometimes with wood that is softer or sometimes with splits this isn't strong enough and I have found it best to have a wider tenon and cut more gently knowing the grip isn't so strong. A faceplate doesn't always work for me in these circumstances.

This piece for example didn't have a complete tenon and I couldn't put a face plate on it either so I had to have a wider tenon to make sure it gripped. I have tried glue blocks but for some reason don't get on with them.

Pete

Back