New Chisels From Veritas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something along the lines of Stanley's "Everlasting" range of chisels may fit the bill. Solid construction with stubby Ash handle let into a robust socket, but with a striking cap secured through the socket via threaded rod and slot headed nut.

Alf":1utg1kag said:
So rather like the Aristocrats already discussed up the thread then?

Yes, but with a much shorter timber handle and longer socket elements. Aristocrats - on the other hand - had an appearance and feel not too far removed from Stanley 5002's in shape and hafting

Here's a link to a few examples;

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/stanleychisels.htm

http://worcester.craigslist.org/tls/2020984005.html

My grandfather had a nice set of them and they were very good chisels, but I haven't a clue where they disappeared to.

Mr G Rimsdale":3hqack1e said:
Seems to me that the only advantage of socket chisels over the others is that when you lose the handle it is relatively easy to make and fit a replacement.

I think the socketed construction is a more durable design, and is better suited to chisels that are struck with a hammer than are the tanged design. Tanged chisels are, by virtue of their lighter construction, better suited to paring chisels.

For fitting a new handle, I think a tanged chisels would be easier to do. However for replacing a handle, I agree that a socket should be easier (if you can make a socketed handle .. here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Soyouwanttomakeadovetailchisel.html)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just a thought if Rob Lee is listening... you make (or distribute) tools for tennoning if I recall. Much akin to a spoke pointer... follow me here, what if one of these were made to specifically match a , well a socketed chisel of your own manufacture for example... maybe even as a part of a master set and also offered separately to rehandle these hypothetical chisels. Might appeal to the asthetic of the socket types ...no? Sounds wild to me.
Mike

I didn't quite follow that. Do you mean; sell chisels with easily losable handles, then sell the kit to make the replacements? And sell the blanks too I suppose?
Don't give them ideas!

Mr G Rimsdale":en7az3vd said:
I didn't quite follow that. Do you mean; sell chisels with easily losable handles, then sell the kit to make the replacements? And sell the blanks too I suppose?
Don't give them ideas!

:lol:

Hi Mike, doubt if many on here will know what a spoke pointer is :D
So for those that don't its a device thats used in a drill to point the end of cartwheel spokes to enable the subsequent use of the tenoner to put a round tenon on them to fit into the wheel rim (felloe)

Alan Jones":cq7iq9k2 said:
Hi Mike, doubt if many on here will know what a spoke pointer is :D
So for those that dent its a device thats used in a drill to point the end of cartwheel spokes to enable the subsequent use of the tenoner to put a round tenon on them to fit into the wheel rim (felloe)
I guessed what it was from the name.

Actually Jacob , I had more in mind folk making their own handles , perhaps of old baseball bats recycled for the ash in them for use in striking. If these were loose , well no worries ... make a set in cocobolo or exotic of choice and just let them rest in the socket for display. the ash ones hidden in a drawer would suit for use and you need not show them to friends during gloat sessions .

lanemaux":3d17jfvg said:
Actually Jacob , I had more in mind folk making their own handles , perhaps of old baseball bats recycled for the ash in them for use in striking. If these were loose , well no worries ... make a set in cocobolo or exotic of choice and just let them rest in the socket for display. the ash ones hidden in a drawer would suit for use and you need not show them to friends during gloat sessions .
:lol: :lol:

lanemaux":hd29nnlm said:

Perfectly fine if you play baseball and enjoy flashing your timbered tools. :wink: :D

Latest posts

Back