New Build Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilricketts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am building a new workshop in the new year and require some advice. My new workshop is going to be 12m x 7.2m built on concrete block pier foundations with 6x2 joists running over the concrete piers spaced 4ft apart. What is the best way of insulating the floor and what products would be best. Any advice greatly received.

Cheers Neil

neilricketts":33cop6eh said:
Hi, i am building a new workshop in the new year and require some advice. My new workshop is going to be 12m x 7.2m built on concrete block pier foundations with 6x2 joists running over the concrete piers spaced 4ft apart. What is the best way of insulating the floor and what products would be best. Any advice greatly received.

Cheers Neil

Kingspan or it's clones is a good way of insulating anything.

Hi I am also rebuilding my workshop along similar lines (6m x 5m). I have put down concrete rafts which the floor joist will span. I intend to put some 3/4 tongue grove chip board over the joist and then 50mm of polystyrene then another layer of tongue and grove boards over the polystyrene.

foundations%20small.jpg

small.jpg

It will have a flat roof for a number of reasons, however, If I could pinch this thread to ask a question?

The breathable membrane on the roof should it be as shown in option 1 of the (exploded ) diagram of a roof below between the firrings and joists with a slight sag, or option two no sag, or option three above the firrings between the roof board and the firrings?

exploded%20view2a.jpg

hi, i am strictly a hobbyist. What i was thinking but correct me if i am wrong. I was thinking of 6x2 joists with a 2" batten running round the inside of the frame so that 4" polystrene insulation could be put in and rest on the 2" battens. Then vapour barrier over the top with 18mm plywood on top of that then 2x1 battens over the plywood with tongue and groove flooring on the battens and leave the bottom of the polystrene open so that it can breathe. would this be ok

cheers neil

Workshop build -you can save a layer of t&g by careful cutting the kingspan to a friction fit between the joists also you get a non compressible floor.
Flat roof construction -look at there site for insulation with a ply top surface for the waterproof to be applied its a sealed system i have it on my shop its perfect .i will look back for my old post and edit.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23279&highlight=

Latest posts

Back