New blade help please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRYAN

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks.
I have a Dewalt sliding mitre saw (305mm blade).
9-10 teeth are damaged and it is dulled after several years use. I think repair and grind will be uneconomic.
Can anyone recommend a good 60 tooth general purpose blade please. bore size is 30mm.

Thanks Bryan.

Freud 60 tooth has made my cutting experiences a whole heap nicer.
And it does cut as a rip, even though everyone said its a cross cut. =D> =D> :shock: :shock: :shock:

Paul200 is correct, you need a negative rake blade.
My advice would be to phone Atkinson Walker for their advice.

powertools":3pxosv82 said:
Paul200 is correct, you need a negative rake blade.
My advice would be to phone Atkinson Walker for their advice.
Sound advice - I've just spent about half an hour trawling the interweb trying to find a blade with the correct specification for your saw (as an example for you) and failed miserably. Retailers just don't seem to be capable of providing ALL the information you need in order to buy the correct blade - and the manufacturers are worse! This isn't just bad form - it could be dangerous.

Atkinson Walker are a great company - they'll sort you out.

Paul, excuse my ignorance as I'm relatively new to all of this, and please don't think my question is intended to question what you've posted :?

Since I've put a Freud blade into my mitre saw, (I also have one in my table saw), the cuts have improved quite noticeably. I'm using a 60 tooth blade and the Freud info states that it is for both rip and cross cut. I have not noticed any kickback (I didn't realise this could happen on a SCMS :shock: ) or any chunks of wood flying off when I'm cutting, however the cut give a much nicer result and it seems to make the cut much easier than with the Bosch blade that the saw came with.

Having said that, and given that you have said that a non negative rake blade is dangerous, should I assume that i) Freud should are wrong for stating that the blade can rip and cross cut, and ii) that there is something that I should be aware of in terms of kickback and/or something that could go pear shaped quickly?

Obi Wan :eek:ccasion5:

Obi Wan Kenobi":3hldrpu9 said:
Paul, excuse my ignorance as I'm relatively new to all of this, and please don't think my question is intended to question what you've posted :?

Since I've put a Freud blade into my mitre saw, (I also have one in my table saw), the cuts have improved quite noticeably. I'm using a 60 tooth blade and the Freud info states that it is for both rip and cross cut. I have not noticed any kickback (I didn't realise this could happen on a SCMS :shock: ) or any chunks of wood flying off when I'm cutting, however the cut give a much nicer result and it seems to make the cut much easier than with the Bosch blade that the saw came with.

Having said that, and given that you have said that a non negative rake blade is dangerous, should I assume that i) Freud should are wrong for stating that the blade can rip and cross cut, and ii) that there is something that I should be aware of in terms of kickback and/or something that could go pear shaped quickly?

Hi Obi Wan

It's just advice that I've been given in the past by manufacturer's reps - a slide mitre saw with a positive rake blade fitted can potentially 'pick up' the timber as it's fed into it horizontally (on the slide, as it were). If you're simply 'chopping' downwards it's not a problem. I've always done as instructed and fitted a neg rake blade in my DeWalt so not experienced this personally - but have heard of it happening to others and also on Radial Arm Saws with the wrong blade fitted.

Maybe 'potentially dangerous' is a tad excessive but I don't think you can be too careful with power saws - especially when I'm on the end of them :?

Paul200":1d0xeilj said:
Hi Obi Wan

It's just advice that I've been given in the past by manufacturer's reps - a slide mitre saw with a positive rake blade fitted can potentially 'pick up' the timber as it's fed into it horizontally (on the slide, as it were). If you're simply 'chopping' downwards it's not a problem. I've always done as instructed and fitted a neg rake blade in my DeWalt so not experienced this personally - but have heard of it happening to others and also on Radial Arm Saws with the wrong blade fitted.

Maybe 'potentially dangerous' is a tad excessive but I don't think you can be too careful with power saws - especially when I'm on the end of them :?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the explanation, and I understand what you are saying. When I use my SCMS I always make a shallow cut when I first start the cut by pulling the blade towards me and making a shallow cut at the same time, then I make the full cut with a one, two or more cuts depending on the thickness of the wood. I guess this is why I may not get anything coming back towards me.

I wholeheartedly agree with your point that you can never be too careful when using power saws.

Back