New Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shultzy":159su7fe said:
Thanks LN - all is now clear. Can you let me know the dimensions of the base unit.

The base is 38" long and is the maximum because of the two vices.

It's 20 deep which is from the front face of the top to the front face of the tool trough.

It is 30" high, with the top 4" thick that totals 34" and for me is the perfect hight for working on it. :D

I would love to build something like that myself one day.

Im sure you will have many good projects on it.

I have found that if you work with good tools and and in a good working enviroment your work reflects, and if it does then you wont have a minute to walk your dogs.

Exellent work not a fault to be found, the best topic i think ive read on here

Must be honest, after reading through this , thismorning i have been chopping this and chucking out to make way for some imagionary work bench that i cannot afford, but aslong as ive made room my mind can sleep. :)

What a super bench. (I was away when thread was active)

Could I be nosey and enquire what sort of cost the job came out at without ironware.

I would like to make one and I reckon the wife might let me keep one like that in the kitchen or even the living room..

wosschildervote8.gif
c077.gif
Great thread your Lordship.

Fantastic bench LN.

Now you can finish your tool cabinet :D and I can build a workbench.

What are the dimensions of your workshop, if you don't mind me asking?

D

TheDudester

What are the dimensions of your workshop, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not sure exactly, I've never measured it
Heres a pic taken 2 1/2 years ago before it was finished.
496740935_48b008b7d2.jpg

It is a little bigger than a two car garage. I know it's nearly 20 ft from the doors to the back wall and all the walls have cavities. width wise there is three feet return to the left of the main door and about two foot return to the right of the doorway, so I suppose it's about 1/2 a car width more than a double garage and just a couple of feet longer than a normal garage.

The entrance door to the far left of the front is a bricked off with another door into the garage (notice I keep saying garage :lol: ) This area stores swmbo's washing machine, drier and I have fitted wall cupboards to store things like glue, screws and other consumables. I suppose I ought to do a workshop tour some time (homer)

DomValente":3q8cs2cz said:
Beautiful bench LN, well done.

Dom

Thank you Dom, coming from you I take that as a compliment, but as you can see from this pic
474414039_566c698a72.jpg

It's getting a little abused or should I say it needs decluttering. :lol:

Wow! How did I miss this thread???

Stunning bench LN, If mine turns out even half as good as that I will be pleased.

=D>

To LN.
Lovely dogs, are they pyrenees?

One of our neighbours has three and when they are walked down the road little doggies cringe :)

devonwoody":cq0fe2bz said:
To LN.
Lovely dogs, are they pyrenees?

One of our neighbours has three and when they are walked down the road little doggies cringe :)

Newfies "Newfoundlands" Losos another forum member got a couple too :lol:

Lord Nibbo":8ztbcvec said:
Poly glue on first third of top only. Six dowels will allow for any movment.
250454987_2b206ac8fb.jpg
:)

Great bench LN :D My next project is a bench, which will be very similar.

How do the dowels work for movement? Is the hole for the dowel bigger in the bench and the dowel hole on the breadboard ends same size as dowel? Basically having a slotted hole in the middle for movement. I take it the dowels go right through to bottom of bench.

My idea was to use a record vise instead of making a tail vise. If i was to use your breadboard design, would it be best to only glue the part the vise attached to, ie about 10"? Do you think that is a good idea?

I also notice your stand only goes as far back as the tool tray. Why did you not make it as wide as your bench?

Cheers :D

Ah! I first thought someone was making a new bench.... You really been digging about in the basement to find this thread :lol:

First answer re: dowels... you've answered it yourself, your assumption are spot on. Yes the dowels go right though. But all the holes in the top are a fraction of an inch nearer the shoulder cut, so when the dowel was hammered in it pulled the breadboard in tight to the shoulders. Plus they were all slightly elongated to allow movement. The holes in the breadboard are the same size as the dowel.

Lots of people have used ordinary Record type vices as an end vice. It's normal to glue only the centre bit of a breadboard end but I only glued the end near where all the strain would be using the tail vice i.e. the vice side.

The base is wide enough, it just didn't need to be any wider. If I had planned it to be an open bench or made it into cupboards then it may have been worth it but I knew I was putting the bench against a wall with just drawers so it's wide enough.
:)

Thanks for the quick reply.

No digging, iv'e got it bookmarked, and it definitely deserves to be bumped. :wink:

That sounds like good tip to make the shoulders pull up tight.

For the bottom of the tool tray did you just put a rebate all round and then screw it down? What about movement?

Where does the dust go that falls through the dog holes?

Latest posts

Back