New Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pics today, but I've cut the doghole in the tail vice and marked up where I'm gonna fit the record front vice. Pic of fitting that to follow. :)

Then I came up with the idea of lengthening it on the face vice end and instead of making the area a drawer, I could have a top swing open compartment with a 4" extractor fitting to suck up chippings and saw dust. What do you think?

So far you've got a very nice bench. don't waste a lot of useful space with dust collection where it isn't necessary. Whats going to fall through dogholes in a bench to warrant a set up like that? I would use the space for storage and attach a portable vac to your power tools.
beejay

Also from your design, make sure you have room for your feet under the bench :) .

Seeing your bench is going to get me to finish my end vice and dogs :roll: :wink:

Colin C":zd5zlmg9 said:
Also from your design, make sure you have room for your feet under the bench :) .

Good one Colin, never gave that a thought.
:oops:

I've gone for the shorter design, infact I've just sized all the wood and cut all the tennons. (pic to follow) :D

Lord Nibbo":dxp1qn8n said:
Colin C":dxp1qn8n said:

Good one Colin, never gave that a thought.
:oops:

I've gone for the shorter design, infact I've just sized all the wood and cut all the tennons. (pic to follow) :D

no way back then he :wink:

It's looking really good

That curve on the lower rail is a nice touch.

I think if I had gone to all the trouble that you have so far I'd probably want solid panels rather than ply. But then I've never built my own bench so what do I know :oops:

Andy

That chamfering detail is excellant. It seems to me that you are constructing a piece of furniture that would look good in the house never mind the workshop!

Andy

dedee":1cefwddv said:
That chamfering detail is excellant. It seems to me that you are constructing a piece of furniture that would look good in the house never mind the workshop!

Andy

Thank you Andy, Nope it's gonna get used HeavilyI do take pride in everything I do, but this bench is going to be a one off, never to be repeated. Ok I could have done more fine detail/design like dovetailing the ends of the tail vice or instead of bread board ends they too could have been dovetailed but as I've said it's going to get used, it's not just for looking at, I have the same phiolsophy about tools, I only buy a tool if I can't find any other way of doing a job, and all the tools I own have a use and get used. :) OK the Record lathe, I still haven't used it yet in anger but thats a whole new learning curve to come and look forward too. :D

PS.... I do have a Bosch electric hand planner I never use, well I did use it once, but it failed to do anything I couldn't do with any of my old Stanleys, and I only have a #3, #4, #5. :lol:

Fandabiedozie bench :D

The ply back took me a bit by surprise, but even if you don't put anything in it people still won't be able to shift it to see.

It really is amazing to see the quality of workmanship that has gone into this (planning on making myself a cheap pine monstrosity soon :oops: )

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Cheers,

Dod

Hoffmann and Hammer, Sjoberg eat your hearts out.......

here at UKWF we have our very own Lord Nibbo......

where`s the order form?? :D :D

Smashing bit of work LN..

Latest posts

Back