New Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger Sinden":3i04p9wm said:
Nice looking bench...now you've gone and made me start thinking out redesigning mine :cry:

How did you make sure that any wind was removed from your two sash clamps prior to routing the top?

Hi Roger, If you look very very closely at the furthest cramp from the camera in the third pic that cross underneath the top you may just notice small shims under the long sash cramp , I actually placed four indentical spacers on each corner of the sashes and with two ally straight edges on the spacers I then took a sight and placed shims where I've already mentioned.
:)

Lord Nibbo":155z0aei said:
I might rout the area where the record vice will be positioned to make the face of the vice (including wood jaw face) flush with the front face of the bench. Would anyone here recommend it being flush?

Not tried it myself, but the advantage would be that if you wanted to support a long piece of wood, you could have one end of it in the vice and the other end clamped to the bench using a holdfast, the colar of which would be fitted to the right-hand front leg of the bench. However, in your case this might depend on where the leg is in relation to the other vice. There are other ways of supporting the loose end of the board, which might make fitting the Record flush a good idea. Plenty of examples of this in the Scott Landis Workbench Book.

The bench is looking great :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1qg0n73i said:
Not tried it myself, but the advantage would be that if you wanted to support a long piece of wood, you could have one end of it in the vice and the other end clamped to the bench using a holdfast, the colar of which would be fitted to the right-hand front leg of the bench. However, in your case this might depend on where the leg is in relation to the other vice. There are other ways of supporting the loose end of the board, which might make fitting the Record flush a good idea. Plenty of examples of this in the Scott Landis Workbench Book.

The bench is looking great :wink:

Paul

Hi Paul,

Although I haven't designed the legs yet, my intentions are to make the legs at the front flush with the top and as you have suggested I can make dogholes down the right leg. :)

Lord Nibbo":241i0tvf said:
Although I haven't designed the legs yet, my intentions are to make the legs at the front flush with the top and as you have suggested I can make dogholes down the right leg. :)

And if you make the dogholes 19mm you would have the choice of using dogs on which the end of the wood could rest, or the Veritas holdfast http://www.brimarc.com/home.php3?page=p ... c=G%201401 if you need a more firm type of clamping. The Veritas holdfast uses 19mm holes rather than a metal collar like the Record-style requires :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1yg3hkph said:
Veritas holdfast http://www.brimarc.com/home.php3?page=p ... c=G%201401 if you need a more firm type of clamping. The Veritas holdfast uses 19mm holes rather than a metal collar like the Record-style requires :wink:

Paul

I just got an email from Rutlands, they have the holdfast in their sale for £36.86 that's £5 cheaper than Brimarc, it still seems expensive though. Are they worth it?

Lord Nibbo":38iig6bd said:
I just got an email from Rutlands, they have the holdfast in their sale for £36.86 that's £5 cheaper than Brimarc, it still seems expensive though. Are they worth it?

Don't know - I've only ever used the Record. Depends how often you will use it. If you anticipate using it a lot, their stuff is usually well-made. Frankly I don't use mine much, probably because there are so many other ways of clamping a piece of wood to the bench :wink:

Paul

That is one gorgeous workbench! How much did it cost for the beech for a bench of that size if you don't mind me asking - I need to start thinking about my bench when the 'shop is finished.

Great progress, and I love the bears - erm I mean dogs :)

Here, Here, stunning work so far.
Are you working from your own plans?

Can't wait to see what you come up with as regards the legs and frames. Cupboards as well?

Are dogs that big really good as guard dogs? I had a mate who had 2 english bull mastiffs and they seemed to be the most gentle creatures around. If one sat on you knew it!

Andy

ByronBlack":gd1y2sef said:
That is one gorgeous workbench! How much did it cost for the beech for a bench of that size if you don't mind me asking - I need to start thinking about my bench when the 'shop is finished.

Great progress, and I love the bears - erm I mean dogs :)

Thank you for the compliment Byron. How much did it cost!!! Well it's a bit of long story. If you look at the very first pic, the one showing the great stack of Beech, it's actually twice the amount I ordered. From a sketch on a fag packet I calculated I could do it using 10 boards 2" x 8" x 9ft which is 10cu ft, minus 15% waste. Atkins & Cripps quoted £26 + vat per cuft
So I supose you could say £260 + vat = £305.
But I actually paid £450 for 20 cuft, ie the second 10 cuft I had cheap :lol:

Anyway for £300 I reckon I'm winning hands down against any bought bench. :lol:

dedee":1akgdbr1 said:
Here, Here, stunning work so far.
Are you working from your own plans?

Can't wait to see what you come up with as regards the legs and frames. Cupboards as well?

Are dogs that big really good as guard dogs? I had a mate who had 2 english bull mastiffs and they seemed to be the most gentle creatures around. If one sat on you knew it!

Andy

No plans Andy other than using sketchup and changing/altering measurements to suit as I go.

As to legs I think it will be pretty conventional, just like any other bench, but I have been toying with the idea of placing runners around the top and just off the ground on all four sides and rebating them just to make it easy if I decide to make the area into cupboards.

Guard Dogs :lol: No ways, mind you they might lick um to death, as for being gentle Newfies must be top of the league. :D

That's looking lovely.. Truly fanstastic.

Keep posting the pictures - Seeing the whole thing coming together from a pile of wood on the workshop floor is a great inspiration. (or to put that another way - you make me jealous - I want to make one too)

Nice work.

Fecn

I have to say it is a very nice bench and it make me want to get my end vice and dogs finished :roll: :wink: or just make a new one :)

Back