New bandsaw: setup and expectations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
space.dandy":37v68y6r said:
Thanks for the links. I've seen the first video before
Hey, who hasn't? I think the forum should start awarding prizes for how long a bandsaw thread can go before the Snodgrass video gets posted :)

I'm sure all the advice here is great, but having owned the same bandsaw, I'd recommend doing what I did: getting rid of it.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I've contacted Axminster and they are sending out replacement tyres and a new blade to try.

One more newbie question: trying to remove the existing blade in readiness, I've loosened the tension knob as far as I can, so that the bottom of the top wheel is resting against the case. Even so, the blade is still under some tension and I'm having to pry it off the wheels. Is this normal? I expected it to be completely slack.

Not normal.
Have you loosed the rear adjustment bolt, as well as the top adjusting knob? The rear bolt will stop the wheel assembly from moving freely if its tight.

when setting up you should loosen the tracking knob, just a half turn or so. this allows the top wheel to slide up and down freely.
Then adjust the tension on the blade with the top knob untill the blade holds on by itself. Then adjust the tracking knob to get the blade where you want it.
Then adjust the tension untill that is as you want it.
Then check the tracking one more time before full tightening everything.
Its most likely been mentioned already, but as you are brand new to bandsaws. adjust the blade as described above with all the bearings a long way away from the blade.
Once the blade is where you want and as tight as you want, THEN you adjust the bearings to as close to the blade as you can without the blade actually touching the side ones.
The rear bearings are there to stop the side bearings squeezing the teeth flat. You should push the blade back by hand untill the teeth are almost into the side bearings, and adjust the rears to stop that happening. If you make a mistake and the blade runs back far enough for the side bearings to squeeze the teeth.... the blade is blunt. fit another one.

Youll need three or four blades at least, and get a couple of the one you want to use most. If you break a blade its incredibly annoying having to wait and order another one half way through a big job.

Persevere, learn, and the bandsaw is an amazing tool. but you have to learn how to use it.

Loosening the tracking knob made no difference. There is just not enough vertical adjustment to allow the blade to slacken fully. I ended up having to spin the blade off the rims — the reverse of how you’d fit a chain to a bike, if you will.

However! Having done that, since Axminster are sending new tyres anyway, I thought I’d try my first idea of soaking the tyres in hot water. After soaking, the flat spots have all but disappeared. I also inspected the blade and found quite a few kinks, which I straightened by hand. This is the result:

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

What a difference! If I’d had that result in the first place this thread would not exist. I'm chuffed already and I can’t wait to see what a decent blade can do. :D

Now, at the risk of taking the wind out of my sails... how do these new pictures look?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 54
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 54
Good news.
Sounds like that machine was in the crate a long time.
The first pic shows a pretty good cut.
Sorry, but I cant decipher the other two (g)
Blade length should be such that with the top wheel lowered, it falls off the wheels. But you should be able to fully tighten the blade with a touch spare on the top adjuster spring.
My own axminster 350 needs a blade that is different to the stated size on the machines label.
Apparently there was a batch of labels misproduced.
Like i say, once you get it on song, therell be no stopping you.
Start researching bandsaw boxes.

Bodgers":3fjfcse2 said:
space.dandy":3fjfcse2 said:
Hey, who hasn't? I think the forum should start awarding prizes for how long a bandsaw thread can go before the Snodgrass video gets posted :)

I'm sure all the advice here is great, but having owned the same bandsaw, I'd recommend doing what I did: getting rid of it.

Bodgers, have you ever thought that the reason Alex Snodgrass video's are posted so often is because it is one of the most useful and helpful guides to new owners of bandsaws and that opinion is held by many. Your comments may be more helpful if you stated what bandsaw you own and how you tune it. The writer is looking for advice not comments on what others may have offered as advice.
Malcolm

Alexam":1ygh0yn6 said:
Bodgers":1ygh0yn6 said:
space.dandy":1ygh0yn6 said:

Bodgers, have you ever thought that the reason Alex Snodgrass video's are posted so often is because it is one of the most useful and helpful guides to new owners of bandsaws and that opinion is held by many. Your comments may be more helpful if you stated what bandsaw you own and how you tune it. The writer is looking for advice not comments on what others may have offered as advice.
Malcolm

My comments about the video were intended to be light hearted and amusing.

I did say what my bandsaw was - the exact same as the OP. My personal experience remains - get rid of it...

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back