New band saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh Brian

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to add a new band saw to my garage workshop. I previously owned a Scheppach Baso 3 which was ok but had several shortcomings and was sold when I moved house. Like the look of the Laguna 14DX but it is stretching the budget somewhat. Any advice on which other bandsaws I should be looking gratefully received.

There's a coincidence - I started with the Scheppach (not a bad little machine) and upgraded to the Laguna 14DX (an excellent machine). If you've any questions about the Laguna that will help you make a decision happy to help.

Happy with a good S/H or new. Live in Shrewsbury so distance will be a factor.

Blackswanwood. How do you get on with the ceramic guides? Some reviews recomend changing them and even claim the shorten the life of the blades.

The Laguna when I looked at it at the last Harrogate show appeared to be a well built machine.
If you’re looking secondhand there is a good range to select from. I have had / used in anger and think is very under valued is the Startrite 14S1 or S5. One is single speed the other 5 speed. One of the easiest I’ve played with to change the blade. The SCM S45 is good, as is the Startrite 352. If you’re happy to do a bit of tinkering secondhand is a good economic way forward.

Triton - Thanks for the response - had a look at the Sabre on line and my only negative was the dust collection which seems badly designed for a machine at this price point. Post experience would make me give bonus points to a handle on the guide raising system. I have to say I like the look of the Ax nobs in alloy - but that is only cosmetic at the end of the day!

Graham - Full respect to the one-handed-woodworker plus if he can change a blade one handed the system must be OK!

Triton - Thanks for the response - had a look at the Sabre on line and my only negative was the dust collection which seems badly designed for a machine at this price point. Post experience would make me give bonus points to a handle on the guide raising system. I have to say I like the look of the Ax nobs in alloy - but that is only cosmetic at the end of the day!

Graham - Full respect to the one-handed-woodworker plus if he can change a blade one handed the system must be OK!

IF BY MAGIC

I'm trying to decide on either that new Axminster 14" bandsaw-310mm depth of cut, or the RP sabre 350.

Either I think would suit you.
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-professional-ap2920b-bandsaw-230v-108517
I've recently bought the cheaper version of the Ax machine. I haven't used it much yet but I think it's going to be fine for me. My only criticism is that the dust extraction is dreadful and it looks as the 'professional' version has the same arrangement. I have moved the upper port up by 2" so that it is sucking from directly under the cutting point. This does, however, interfere with the table tilt mechanism, not that I'm ever likely to need that. The extraction port at the base was doing nothing at all except reducing the flow to where it is really needed so I have disconnected it altogether.
Brian

I'm considering buying the N2 35, I have no good reason but don't fancy a Record. Does anyone have experience with the smaller Hammer?

Back