New Backsaw recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
look i know you live in cornwall alf, but can you get anyone to do anything for 3 quid these days??? :lol: :twisted:

that's what i charge for a chisel and that does not take as long as a saw i am sure.

think there is a company near high wycombe, will find there card and post
their boss claimed they do hand work too.

paul :wink:

Hi hazewood
I have just remember #-o :roll:
There is a tool shop near me that has some old tenon saws for sale ( ones people have not picked up after being sharpen :roll: )
I can have a look for you :whistle: on monday , to see if there are any good and how much, that is if you want me to :)
You will also have to pay the postage :wink:
Ps They will be sharp too :D

Paul Chapman":15dhpej5 said:
Could be a good topic for discussion at Philly's get-together next month if any of those who are going know how it's done...... 8-[ 8-[
Hmm... Got a saw vice, Philly? Or will I have to bring my own :roll: :lol:

Jacob, sorry, I meant to say about the x-cut/rip hybrid. Yes, you could do that,and then not only d'you get the worst of both worlds but also slash the number of legitimately needed saws in half. You can see the problem with that, I'm sure... :wink: Not that the medic in question could have done that anyway. Apparently rip means "fewer teeth" so a hybrid probably would have had every other tooth knocked out or something. Oi vey. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf
I do have a badly lashed together vise-you better bring the Disston along :wink:
I also have a pile of saw files (and old saws wanting love :lol: )
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":379y16ma said:
Alf
I do have a badly lashed together vise-you better bring the Disston along :wink:
Coo, not likely - not now I know that model's so hard to come by. You don't want me sobbing ina corner 'cos I dropped it in transit :cry: I can bring my own badly lashed together one :wink: :lol:

Philly":379y16ma said:
I also have a pile of saw files (and old saws wanting love :lol: )
Oh lordy me, what have I done... #-o

Cheers, Alf

Alf":10eldoac said:
Paul Chapman":10eldoac said:
Could be a good topic for discussion at Philly's get-together next month if any of those who are going know how it's done...... 8-[ 8-[
Hmm... Got a saw vice, Philly? Or will I have to bring my own :roll: :lol:

Might just bring along my knackered old Spear & Jackson tennon saw in case you want to demonstrate on that :-k 8-[

Paul

Alf":1zbfk1v2 said:
I plead insanity. It's not there isn't plenty of evidence to back that up... :lol:
:lol: Hope you can hold onto a cup of tea the next day :wink:

Gosh, I wish I could make it to the meet. I would like to request lots of pictures and highlights of the time together!

Take care, my friends. Mike

Tsk, wrote some real gobbledegook there. I'll try that again:

I plead insanity. It's not as if there isn't plenty of evidence to back that up...

What's that saying? Sharpen a man's saw and he has a sharp saw until he dulls it; show a man how to sharpen and he has sharp saws for life...? :lol: Bring your specs, chaps. :twisted:

Mike, holding a cup of tea will not be a problem. I can do that while looking over shoulders and helpfully saying "you're doing very well, but are you sure you really want to make that a pull saw?" :wink: :lol: Actually it's little teeth before the eyes that gets to me; after an about an hour they start jumping sideways. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1x04b3gn said:
What's that saying? Sharpen a man's saw and he has a sharp saw until he dulls it; show a man how to sharpen and he has sharp saws for life...? :lol: Bring your specs, chaps. :twisted:

I'm polishing my specs already :D

Paul

Just a thought. Hopefully everyone brings an appropriate file for the saws they bring to learn on...

I know BB has gone round on finding good files, so perhaps he'll have local recommendations. Else, LV sells Nicholsons, LN sells Grobet and Pete Taran sells Bahco.

Reading through BB's and or Pete Taran's saw filing primers would be helpful. Also making a rake/fleam gadget ahead of time, or at least a small block of wood with you would be helpful. For the gadget, refer to BB's web page on making one.

And make sure any saw of value is sharpened before too many bears, er, beers are consumed might be a good idea :lol:

Have fun. Mike

MikeW":2pnjo10n said:
Just a thought. Hopefully everyone brings an appropriate file for the saws they bring to learn on...

I know BB has gone round on finding good files, so perhaps he'll have local recommendations. Else, LV sells Nicholsons, LN sells Grobet and Pete Taran sells Bahco.

Reading through BB's and or Pete Taran's saw filing primers would be helpful. Also making a rake/fleam gadget ahead of time, or at least a small block of wood with you would be helpful. For the gadget, refer to BB's web page on making one.

And make sure any saw of value is sharpened before too many bears, er, beers are consumed might be a good idea :lol:

Have fun. Mike

Thanks Mike - helpful advice as always. I'm looking up the stuff right now - don't want Alf to tell us off for not doing our homework 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Paul

Something for edge jointing would be good too; black marker pen to blacken the teeth mebbe; handles for files (don't want to find out what Philly's local A & E is like...) Oo, it's starting to sound like work - and on fruit juice too. :shock:

'Course, if you do all that you won't, with any luck, need me at all... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Oh no, he's got a list! Hell, and I was counting on you forgetting between now and then. #-o Oh well, maybe you'll lose it... [-o< :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":28k9qi1o said:
Oh no, he's got a list! Hell, and I was counting on you forgetting between now and then. #-o Oh well, maybe you'll lose it... [-o< :lol:

I also have a short-term memory problem, so you might be in luck :lol:

What list :? :? :? :?

Paul

Alf":16df4a5q said:
Used to be the local ironmongers had some old fellow in a dusty corner somewhere they could send hand saws to for hand filing, although those chaps are dying out leaving us all high and dry, but you might be lucky. If you still have a local ironmongers...

I have 2. Both offer saw sharpening services. Both were rubbish.

Sadly, not all "old fellows" are quite as good as they say they are.

BugBear

Colin C":212zo13p said:
Hi hazewood
I have just remember #-o :roll:
There is a tool shop near me that has some old tenon saws for sale ( ones people have not picked up after being sharpen :roll: )
Thanks Colin C for the offer, but I have my saws sorted out.
Sorry about the late reply, I haven't been online other than to do emails.

Thanks again.

Joe

Latest posts

Back