Knew concept saw (coping or fret)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckerrigan

Reaction score
Hi all

I was looking to see what most people have opted for when purchasing the knew concept saws. Do they use the fret model or the coping saw?

I am looking to mainly cut dovetails but unsure as to what frame I should be purchasing.

Has anyone attempted to fit the pegas blades to an eclipse coping saw?

And has this worked successfully?

Conor

I bought the 5" Knew fret saw with the swivel blade clamps. It's excellent: I hated using fret saws before I bought that one. If I were buying again, I'd go with the 3" model: the swivel blade clamps mean that you don't really need the extra depth of the 5" body (at least for anything I do).

I have an old coping saw (probably an eclipse). It works fine so I've never felt the need to upgrade that to a Knew concepts one.

I cut dovetails with a Dozuki so the narrower blade of the fret saw is a bonus. Having said that, it's not that hard to cut dovetails out with a coping saw: you just start in the middle of the bit to be removed, cut in a curve down to the corner, then reverse and cut across. If you're cutting with western saws, then you probably don't even need to do that: just cut from the saw kerf like I would with a fret saw.

Back