Need Fence for Wadkin 9BFT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klooker

Reaction score
Hello & greetings from the U.S.

I have a Wadkin 9BFT planer (or jointer as we call them over here).
JointerOverall.jpg

I love this machine but unfortunately, it has a cracked fence.
Crack1.jpg

Would any of you happen to know where I could find one?

Thank you.

Welcome Klooker.

I can't help with your quest, I'm afraid, but I can point out that your photos won't show up until you have posted 3 or 4 more posts because of our spam filter. Join in a chat somewhere and it'll soon be sorted.

Mike

Hi Klooker,

Welcome to rthe forum. :D

Nice machine you have there, but I have no idea where to get a fence.
I have seen an ebay seller who was breaking some Wadkin kit but don't think he had any planners, might be worth setting up a search?

Here are your pictures
JointerOverall.jpg

Crack1.jpg

It might be possible to repair your fence, I would ask at places that restore old cars. Cast iron can be welded, but it needs care and would need re-machining once done.

Thanks for posting my pictures Dave - everybody likes pictures.

I think I saw the listing on Ebay U.K. for a 9BFT that needed some work. I contacted the seller & told him that I was willing to pay for the entire machine but only wanted the fence. I asked if he could give me an approximate shipping charge for the fence but he never replied.

If anyone is looking for something from this side of the Atlantic, I'm willing to help.

beech1948":3m660vdt said:
Sorry to hear about fence but have a look at some of these

http://www.advancedmachinery.co.uk/mach ... ebuild.asp

http://www.usedwoodworkingmachines.co.uk/index.html

http://www.dbkeighley.co.uk
http://www.wadkinmachinery.com/Stock-List-4.html

I found these using a Google search of Wadkin Planer Fence.

You might consider a phone call to Wadkin ( see site above) to find out if the model you have is a specific model or a special export model number. I would expect that they have an old configuration file on hand.

They are very helpful also.

regards
Alan

With a bit of tidying up to make it usable
Bob

hi

I restored one of these machines a while back, lovely bit of kit.
Cant help you with sourcing a fence though...

Cant you repair it by bolting some plate steel/ground stock to the face?

Thanks for all the replies.

As a result of the crack, the fence now has a twist in it.

I've considered bolting wood or metal to it so that it would be flat but was hoping to find a replacement.

Hi Kevin,
May I suggest that you locate a company that repairs cast iron components. I've just googled cast+iron+repair+ohio and there seem to be some good places within a reasonable distance or shipping distance from you. I had a quick look at "castironrepair.com" and your fence looks easy compared to some of the stuff they do. It could be brazed or welded and re-machined to be as good as new.
Just my 2 cents' worth.
Good luck,
Mark

Hi klooker

I've got a spare fence for my Wadkin 12" BAO/S planer/thicknesser. The dimensions of it are length 760mm and height 110mm. The diameter of the shaft that connects to the machine is 32 mm. Any good to you? I've no idea what a fair price would be, or what shipping to the USA from the UK.

Dan

www.theartofwood.net

Dan,
Thanks for the reply & the PM - I never received an email notification of your posting.

Until I can go home & measure mine, here are some more pictures so you can see if it resembles yours.

FenceInternal.jpg

FenceFront.jpg

FenceRear.jpg

Thanks again!

Hi Kevin.

I've just taken a photo of my fence. It looks very similar to yours. I don't know how to post a photo on this board.

I should have got it out of it's wooden crate before I told you about it. I bought it as part of a job lot, and have only just looked at it. It has been repaired in the past, and although it's seems a good repair, the fence itself isn't perfectly flat along it's length. When I put my straight edge against it, it pivots very slightly about half way along, but not on the actual repair. In practice this shouldn't make any difference as long as it's square to the table.

Have a check of your dimensions, and if you want to take it further I'll test it out on my machine.

Dan,

The dimensions match.

If you haven't figured out how to post photos, you can email them to me & I can post them for those who want to see.

Thanks.

I want to thank Dan for all he's done.

The fence arrived & works great. Although it was repaired at one time, it is perfectly flat!
WebWadkinFence4.jpg

WebWadkinFence3.jpg

Please excuse the messy shop in the background.

It is heartwarming to know that the mother country can still offer help and support to the colonies!! :lol: :lol:

Glad you got it all sorted Kevin

Bob

Back