Need an old small bench drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel769

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can help. Im looking out for an old quality bench drill, a fobco, meddings, startrite ect. Problem is that, due to space in the shed, i need one thats a bit smaller than the average depth (from front to back) of about 22". Anyone know if these golden oldie bench drill makers made anything slightly smaller. The modern ones look a bit flimsy which is why i want an old one.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks

The standard answer to this is to keep an eye on Ebay - eventually something will turn up at the right price and close enough to be collected. I have found these things tend to be like buses - nothing for a while and then several listings at a similar time.

Also look for any adverts in your local paper or Gumtree etc.

Finally are you looking for a single phase machine or 3 phase. If you want to run a 3 phase machine from single phase you will need (to buy) a suitable convertor that will add to the cost.

Misterfish

Thanks for the response; today I have been searching for a suitably sized drill and have found two more possibles; "Warco" apparently make a well reviewed smaller bench drill, also the Meddings compact (although its £1500 new); although both are modern. I would like a vintage purely because they look better imo, the search continues. I cannot find the Startrite junior model as mentioned (if anyone knows please let me know) however the Record DMD24A is one I will look out for. The Meddings B.4 high speed drill is the perfect base size but its too fast for what i need it for.

All things considered there is the Meddings M8 ( see http://www.lathes.co.uk/meddingsdrills1960/ ), which by the looks of it would be perfect; unfortunately thou I can find no mention of it apart from on the website mentioned above, if anyone knows where i could purchase one of those that would be pure gold. Thanks

Back