Need advice on bench / pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burt25

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy (get my wife to buy me) a pillar or bench drill to compliment my lathe and bandsaw.
Budget is approx £300-350- I want something accurate and well built.
I called at my local hardware store who do Record and Sealey but the guy in the shop was steering me towards sealey- he reckoned they were better for the money than record.

I know buying second hand is the ideal way to go, but as I'm in Nothern Ireland postage is an issue.

Would be grateful for any recommendations for a new drill (preferably based on experience) as I don't want to buy a lemon!

Many thanks

Have a look at the Jet JDP-17F that Axminster are selling through their Ebay shop. I just received mine and it is a bit of a beast! Well made, good power, capacity and speed range. It looks similar to the Axminster AT2801FDP Floor Pillar Drill apart from the handles being different. It is shown as open box in the advert but the one I received was brand new, just that the packaging was a bit tatty.

They are simple devices so a cheapo will probably be OK. Mine's a Nutool - £50 on ebay and hardly used. It's fine.
Very similar to the Jet JDP-17F and probably made in the same Chinese factory.
It might not survive for long in a heavy engineering workshop but is good for woodwork.

Latest posts

Back