Need a new spirit level recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
As per the title, dropped mine yesterday and the vial moved so now I can't trust it - a google reveals a big difference in prices, so any personal recommendations?

Looking for something around 800mm (same as last one), and maybe a 2000mm one.

This set seems good value IF it's reasonably accurate:

#http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-levels-4-piece-set/9810c?mi_u=173158313&cm_mmc=Email-_-E16W42CX2-_-LargeStickie2-_-forgesteellevels#product_additional_details_container

(I can hear Eric the Viking right now.... "you know a level is only as accurate as the length of the bubble"..)

Eric has one that can be recalibrated for accuracy, can't find one like it though.

Much of the time when you are using a spirit level, you don't just want to rest it against a surface and check it. If you are hanging a cupboard on a wall, for example, you will want to mark accurate positions for fixing screws so that it will be level when installed. That's why I bought this one:

IMG_20161118_163942119_zpssw05n2do.jpg

IMG_20161118_163954742_zps28hmngve.jpg

IMG_20161118_164014492_zpsp8u1uofn.jpg

The four black or red plastic bits slide in a slot and can be set at the required positions for fixing points. You can mark where they go without removing or shifting the level.

It seems accurate enough to me, but I have never dropped it. :)

I found it in Gardiner Haskins a few years ago - I can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't a lot.

AndyT":un5miicm said:
Much of the time when you are using a spirit level, you don't just want to rest it against a surface and check it. If you are hanging a cupboard on a wall, for example, you will want to mark accurate positions for fixing screws so that it will be level when installed. That's why I bought this one:

IMG_20161118_163942119_zpssw05n2do.jpg

IMG_20161118_163954742_zps28hmngve.jpg

IMG_20161118_164014492_zpsp8u1uofn.jpg

The four black or red plastic bits slide in a slot and can be set at the required positions for fixing points. You can mark where they go without removing or shifting the level.

It seems accurate enough to me, but I have never dropped it. :)

I found it in Gardiner Haskins a few years ago - I can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't a lot.
That's such a clever idea ! Following this thread with interest. My stabila level isn't level anymore.

Coley

I think the forge set is quite good, on of my fitters has the set and its pretty handy

Accuracy may depend on the length of the bubble, but a long level will allow you to see if the surface it is against is bowed and you can get an average measure of plumb / level between the ends of the level, wheras a short level will only be as accurate as the section of surface it is rested against.

Im not a fan of adjustable levels, yes they can be re-calibrated, but they are also prone to being knocked out of set.

Stabila levels all the way for me, mine get used every day and travel about in the back of my truck, Same as most things, look after them and they'll last,

Love my 6' Stabila R type level, solid, accurate and the shape does makes it better to hold.

Doug

I like my Draper/Kapra one with the window on the side so you can see the bubble when you look at the side not the face. Pretty robust, though they've discontinued the one I've got.

I do not like my Draper/Kapra water level, sheesh what a waste of money :x

Had many over the years and Stabila are always good but the last one i bought was a Stanley Fatmax 4 footer. Got it when it was on offer at ITS and it hits the sweet spot between price and quality. Think they are £30 plus the dreaded. They also do packs of 2 and 4 different sizes, which are good value.

Another vote for Stabila but do not use it to lever things as it will bend and you have to buy a new one. So I am told. Obviously not the voice of experience. It would be even more embarrassing if you did not realise you had bent it.

I have just over half of a very good Stabila level. Some silly person labourer lowered a pack of bricks onto it and snapped it. The half i have is still bang on plumb and level but it's rather shorter and missing the second plumb vial.

I use to swear by the stabila 83s range. It was an expensive investment but it lasted a good 10 years before it got out of level. I replaced it with the same version. The replacent had sharp edges, ultra shiny, and one of the dials used for plumbing was out. I didn't notice it was out till months after. I decided it best to poke it out so there was never any mix up.
My workmate replaced his trusty 83s level with the same newer version. He had the same experience. One of the plumb dials was out. If I ever buy another level, I'll go into a shop and try it first.

Coley

Stabila R type for me too. Perfect.

Before I buy I check it out on a surface, rotate and verify the same readings both vertically and horizontally.

Saw these at Harrogate show today, their website does not do them justice, looked gorgeous in the flesh. Made from iroko, aircraft aluminium and stainless steel, even come with your name etched in. Hoping the kids might get me one for Christmas, cheaper then I expected.

http://superiorlevel.co.uk/

I have a 3' stabila beam type. It's not level. It's ok in the plumb I have to turn the level 180 and split the difference to get things bang on. I had a rabone beam level that was even worse. That got nicked, I hope it took whoever nicked it a long time to realise.

Thanks for all the replies guys - AndyT - that level looks a good idea in theory, I know Mr Fischer was an engineer by trade (I used to have his childrens engineering building sets as a child) but with the vial being just at one end, how accurate is it?

Doug71 - Blimey thats a nice looking level, and not ridiculously expensive either, but I'd end up never using it.

Still not totally made my mind up yet, what with black friday coming up and other offers for xmas, so any other members who want to weigh in please do.

For just a plain level, Bahco is pretty good. I won't claim to have tested against any others, it just seems very well made :)

Back