Natural edged nest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
Prior to turning the egg for this months challenge I thought I would have a go at a natural edged bowl. I have some small Eucalyptus logs I picked up last autumn and having split one a few weeks ago it did not seem to have warped so I thought I would see what it turned like.
I must say it was very pleasant to turn with nice ribbons of shavings. I was surprised at the grain it had as I had been told it would be a very plain wood. It was sanded to 400 and sealed then given a coat of friction polish as a final finish. I managed to hold it reversed in a set of cole jaws so I could gently remove the chucking recess. Unfortunately I did manage to knock a small sectio of the bark off while giving it a final buff so its not as good as it looked straight off the lathe. Oh well its a learning curve and I will be more careful next time.
nest1.jpg

nest3.jpg

nest4.jpg

nest5.jpg

Aegg2.jpg

Attachments

• Aegg2.jpg
    Aegg2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,226
  • nest5.jpg
    nest5.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,226
  • nest4.jpg
    nest4.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,226
  • nest3.jpg
    nest3.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,226
  • nest1.jpg
    nest1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 1,226
Well done if that's your first attempt at natural edge, re: loosing a bit of bark, might be prudent to check round any future projects and consider if a little judicial use of thin grade CA glue might be in order before you put any finishing loads on it. Just take care it does not wick onto the wood too much and leave stains. (sanding sealer on wood first)

Thanks for the comments. I enjoyed making it and will certainly do more in the future. Any secrets on how to hold them for removing the chucking recess would be helpful.

DSCN2027.jpg
DSCN2028.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2027.jpg
    DSCN2027.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 997
  • DSCN2028.jpg
    DSCN2028.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 997
I like that as a way of holding it but does the ring really need to be removed ? To me it looks OK as it is

It's up to you how you finish the bases, I just prefer to remove holding details.
(the first image is the spinning bowl completed)
DSCN2034.JPG
DSCN4333.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2034.JPG
    DSCN2034.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 968
  • DSCN4333.JPG
    DSCN4333.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 968
Thanks for the pics Chas. Is the cone in the tail stock attached to a live centre? If so is it just pressure or is it glued to one specially kept for this purpose.

Grahamshed. Like Chas i think the bottom looks better with the chucking recess either removed or turned down to leave just a small raised ring. I suppose it a matter of choice. Also as I am still a novice the base of my chucking recess is normally a little rough until I remove the recess and finish it.

The Tailstock Wood Cone just slips over a revolving centre, although in fact having several centres it pretty much stays put and I change out centres.

On the recess finishing, try and remember to finish off the centre of the recess when you first cut it, then when you reverse it and shape base towards centre there is minimum hand finishing to do where the wood centre runs.

If you shop around the DIY sheds/£ shops you may find some small plastic/felt furniture feet, either self adhesive or with a fixing stem, they are ideal for facing the wood clamping centres.

I have a packet of felt furniture feet I got years ago from Lidl. Never used them but now it looks like they will come in handy. Thanks again Chas

Back