'Name that bandsaw'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigT

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just picked up this Startrite bandsaw (not actual photo, found same one on ebay but no info with it, have sent message to seller in case they know)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STARTRITE-BANDSAW ... 1c176609e5

Mine has original paint job, bakalite mag switch and crumbling rubber cable but runs lovely.
Can anyone tell me anything about it such as model number for a manual, or blade size as I think the one on it is probably the original one.
Thanks in advance
BigT

Sorry can't help you with the model on this saw. Startrite produced a lot of three wheelers but generally in a rectangular casing like the 18-S-1 that I have.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/modi ... 38613.html

Usually there is a plate on the machine stating the model and bladesize so i assume yours is missing. The easiest way to measure the blade is to run a steel tape round the pulleys with a blade fitted.
Then repeat with the blade off and the tension adjustment set to min and max. This should give you the range and ideally pick an integral number of inches between the min and max for ease of fitting. Most machines will have an inch or two of adjustment tolerance.

Many people including me recommend Ian at Tuff Saws for blades as well as advice on choosing a blade for the type of work you do.

If you have perished rubber cabling please do change it. At best it will fail when least convenient and at worst could give you a nasty shock.

Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for the tip on measuring the blade, thats probably all the info I need. I will certainly contact your supplier for prices etc.

Yes I have replaced the cable, and the switch box that had siezed up.
I have just finished cleaning up the table, mitre guage and fence. After opening all the doors and windows to clear the rust dust, she's starting to look pretty servicable.

Will post photos when i can find camera
regards
BigT

Update!
Whilst inspecting Babs' rear, found (in tiny letters) '474' (I think, bit worn) on smaller name plate directly under 'Startrite'.
Cant find any ref. on google though.

Rubbed down and greased up her blade guide bits and bobs today. I think I've figured out what all the adjustments do, now need to find out how she should be set up for optimum performance.
does anyone have a generic link for this sort of thing?
regards
T

There is an excellent set of DVDs produced by one of the forum members

Here is a clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2udCG6HQw

and it is bound to have a link to where you can buy them :lol:

If you can see past the taste in shirts :lol: then I'm sure you will find these DVDs useful.

No I'm not on commission but Steve is a great guy and makes very good DVDs. He is also a damn good woodworker.

HTH

Bob

If he can tell me what model my band saw is, i'll buy all his dvd's

Although I may be able to convince my good lady, her in doors, the ball and chain, the war office, oh best beloved, she who must be obeyed (yer right) that they would make a fine crimbo pressie
we will see..

Back