Nail gun for external jobs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew

Established Member
Reaction score
Am looking for a nail gun, initially for two specific jobs:

• fixing horizontal shiplap cladding to a shed (I gave up on fancier options mooted in another thread)
  • fixing cladding strips (maybe 500, with a few nails in each) to a fence (a la second pic here)

I think I've decided on a compressor+air gun; a cordless one is expensive (I'm aiming for maybe £250) and a compressor will likely get more use afterwards around the workshop. But being new to both nailers and air tools, I'm a bit clueless:

• Is a 15g or 16g gun enough for these jobs? I don't really want to get a heavy duty first-fix; and ideally want the nails as discreet as possible, especially for the second job
  • Is a small-ish compressor enough? I'm thinking of this Stanley vertical one which seems neat; will it drive most/all nail guns?
  • What kind of hoses/adapters do I need? Coiled vs straight? Is there a practical maximum length on hoses (eg is there pressure drop on longer ones)?

Any advice much appreciated! (And sorry a) to bring up a topic that has been around a few times; and b) to folks who visit the SF forum where I crossposted)

Latest posts

Back