Mystery - Bench top Table Saw parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an excel bench top table saw. It came with the black plastic parts indicated in the pics. These are showing on the internet in images as mounted to the rip fence. I can’t for the life of me understand what they are for. The manual and info from the manufacturer doesn’t say.

im hoping some of you peeps that are more experienced than I have some inkling.

Kind Regards…… Rob

808D2503-C062-4A3A-AF9C-E63369F5EE1F.jpeg

33A115A4-1202-4896-9876-227BC2679D8B.jpeg

Also maybe for when you tilt the blade the low-level plastic thing keeps the blade away from the aluminium fence.

I was thinking that but just Googled the saw and looks like the blade tilts the other way :dunno:

Edit to say maybe you can fit fence other side of blade and plastic bit other side of fence?

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Plausible reasons and most likely. It would help if the manufacturer actually said what they were for eh. I was clutching at straws to be honest.

I've not seen anyone on youtube or on any “how to“ sites using anything like it to be fair.

I'm not sure I will use it as a feature to be honest.

kind regards rob

My dewalt has a 'thin rip' fence that swings over the main one, for ripping thin strips. I dont think ive ever used it

I use the low fence a lot. Any time there is no room to use a push stick with the high fence. They are put on the saw as a safety feature and intended to be used.
Regards
John

I have just bought this saw and was also confused about the black plastic strip. I worked out as indicated that it is attached to the fence when cutting thin strips for safety. In your picture you have the dust extraction adaptor on the blade guard, it should be fitted to the extraction port on the side of the machine, I find it fits my shop vac perfectly. Use a thinner hose from the blade guard with a T piece to the lower extraction hose. I have to say a great saw for those like me with limited space.

The Rockwell Delta Unisaw in the late 70s or early 80s could be bought with the Unifence. The fence was basically an L extrusion fitting a head on the rail that could be slid forward across the full length of the top for cutting sheet goods. Pulled back to the edge of the blade for rips. Or used with the tall edge up for normal cuts and laid flat for thin work like the plastic L of this thread. Not a new idea any means.

Pete

I've got a Laguna with a "European" fence which had a high/low functionality. I haven't used the low setting yet but it definitely makes sense

Rob, Musicman, whats your opinions on this saw, it looks of course very similer to the DeWalt which is at least three times the price and I beleive its got a solid alluminium top and a good fence,,Im tempted because I do all my sawing outside and its got to be light enough to be carried out of the shed,,,and its a proper saw as opposed to my home made one,,have you had much chance to use it yet?
Steve.

I have just bought this saw and was also confused about the black plastic strip. I worked out as indicated that it is attached to the fence when cutting thin strips for safety. In your picture you have the dust extraction adaptor on the blade guard, it should be fitted to the extraction port on the side of the machine, I find it fits my shop vac perfectly. Use a thinner hose from the blade guard with a T piece to the lower extraction hose. I have to say a great saw for those like me with limited space.
Hi Steve, I agree and that’s what I do. The pics are from the net

Kind Regards..........Rob

Rob, Musicman, whats your opinions on this saw, it looks of course very similer to the DeWalt which is at least three times the price and I beleive its got a solid alluminium top and a good fence,,Im tempted because I do all my sawing outside and its got to be light enough to be carried out of the shed,,,and its a proper saw as opposed to my home made one,,have you had much chance to use it yet?
Steve.
Hi Steve, yes I bought it for the same reasons as you to be honest. It’s light enough to lift about but at the same time, heavy enough to be quite hard wearing. It’s quite strong in my opinion. Quite load but it’s all open design. Can’t fault it for the money.

Kind Regards..........Rob

Many thanks Rob, I think I will get myself one. I spent somewhile looking online for reviews and there are a couple, both mostly positive and Im impressed with the Alloy top rather than the pressed steel ones which I think look cheap. I guess like you said they are going to be a bit noisey given the open design but outside it should not be an issue. The suppliers are listing them at £120 inc which I think is quite a good price too.
All the best,
Steve.

Hello again Rob, sorry to trouble you again but what do you make of the lever lock for the bevel angle? it looks like a plastic handle, is it all plastic including the locking part itself and do these parts look fairly robust?
Actually since writeing the above Ive been ferriting around on the net and looked up the Dewalt version and to my surprise I see that the Excel really is very similer, in fact the bevel adjustment/locking set up seemed common to all the site saws I glanced at.
The things I noticed were that the Dewalt uses metal gears for raiseing the blade height, whilst the Excel are plastic or perhaps nylon, the rack adjustment on the fence is not there on the Excel which is not an issue for me, but the really intresting thing was that when one Dewalt reviewer was pulling off a hose to the lower dust extraction port, the whole motor houseing could be seen wiggling about, no better than the Excell it seemed. I huess that at three or four times the price the Dewalt would be a better saw, but for my limited use I think I will buy the Excel.
Steve.

Last edited:
one Dewalt reviewer was pulling off a hose to the lower dust extraction port, the whole motor houseing could be seen wiggling about, no better than the Excell it seemed

Thats not accurate. Motor is attached to the blade housing but not visible and is very rigid......

Attachments

• 16372257571367735904072409939978.jpg
    16372257571367735904072409939978.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 16372257829453246778709314712837.jpg
    16372257829453246778709314712837.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 16372258041337776114663084106112.jpg
    16372258041337776114663084106112.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 16
Hello Kev, the review is on Utube and is for the Dewalt 7491 Site Saw, the lower dust extraction port is as you say part of the blade houseing,,which also has the motor bolted to it and when chummy is twisting the hose off the port it did seem that the alloy unit was moving around, the reviewer didn't comment on it but it was something I noticed and from the rear it was all perfectly visible, maybe a different model saw?
Im now waiting for the Excell to arrive,,
Steve.

Hello again Rob, sorry to trouble you again but what do you make of the lever lock for the bevel angle? it looks like a plastic handle, is it all plastic including the locking part itself and do these parts look fairly robust?
Actually since writeing the above Ive been ferriting around on the net and looked up the Dewalt version and to my surprise I see that the Excel really is very similer, in fact the bevel adjustment/locking set up seemed common to all the site saws I glanced at.
The things I noticed were that the Dewalt uses metal gears for raiseing the blade height, whilst the Excel are plastic or perhaps nylon, the rack adjustment on the fence is not there on the Excel which is not an issue for me, but the really intresting thing was that when one Dewalt reviewer was pulling off a hose to the lower dust extraction port, the whole motor houseing could be seen wiggling about, no better than the Excell it seemed. I huess that at three or four times the price the Dewalt would be a better saw, but for my limited use I think I will buy the Excel.
Steve.
Hi Steve, no bother at all. Lever lock is quite robust in my opinion. I also wanted a dewalt but way too expensive for my use. I have never used or seen a dewalt in person but the excel is definitely quite tough and certainly up there with the dewalt given the price comparison. The only thing I would change is that the fence doesn't have the rack but it works for me to be honest, once its fettled with and you get it dialled in, its fine.

Kind Regards... Rob

Back