Mysterious #44-a-like

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I got this on Sunday. Most Mysterious. No name on it that I can find, unless it's under the (fairly shallow) rust on the blades.

x44_left3_4.jpg

x44_right3_4.jpg

It's made of cast iron. My initial thought is that it's a Pemuvar, since the blade holding mechanism (a taper being pulled in a tapered hole), is the same as my Pemuvar #43-a-like.

x44_blade.jpg

But (sadly) the Pemuvar thread
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=16137

reveals that there was indeed a Pemuvar #44, and it looks NOTHING LIKE what I've got. Unless they changed it of course.

Capacity is 3/4" deep grooves (with the depth stop removed), up to 5" from the edge. Supplied blades (in baccy tin, per tradition) are 1/8" up to 9/16" in 1/8" increments, as expected.

Any information and/or speculation welcomed.

BugBear

hi bugear,

i think it's a woolworth's special they used to have a range of tools back in the 50's that ranged from 6d to12/6, i think this was the later. :lol: :lol:

woodbutcher.

woodbutcher":2etz6891 said:
hi bugear,

i think it's a woolworth's special they used to have a range of tools back in the 50's that ranged from 6d to12/6, i think this was the later. :lol: :lol:

woodbutcher.

Woolworth? Do these still exist in your neck of the woods? We had one of those stores back home (eastern Québec) when I was a kid...

DC

Drop it onto concrete from about 10 feet. If it doesn't break in half then it's worth keeping. :whistle:

Seriously, as long as the blades are of good steel it should do the job. That thread looks in need of a chasing though.

Good Luck on that one.
John :D

woodbutcher":25yx9d7y said:
hi bugear,

woodbutcher.

Interesting; the overall "style" of the plane certainly look 1950's; I wonder where I can find info to corroborate your suggestion?

BugBear

I searched through a pile of old Woodworker magazines I have that date from the late 50's and early 60's but I couldn't find any adverts or anything else that might help explain the origins of the plane.

Mirboo":341tz5gu said:
I searched through a pile of old Woodworker magazines I have that date from the late 50's and early 60's but I couldn't find any adverts or anything else that might help explain the origins of the plane.

Me too :D

BugBear

Latest posts

Back