My worst accident so far

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColeyS1":3sttk2re said:
yetloh":3sttk2re said:
Glad you're OK. I seem to have a switch in my brain that sets an alarm ringing when I put a digit in front of a chisel so, (tempting fate) I 've never seriously injured myself with one. I did have a nasty accident with a router resulting in the loss of three finger tips.. Routers shred flesh so if you are really going for cut flesh, a chisel is certainly the best option :p

Jim
Oh my word- 3 finger tips sounds bloody horrific! Was it by any chance in an upside down router table position? Router tables scare me more than spindle moulder.

Coley

Yes, a very small home-made one held in a vice , with a pivot pin to rout some ply discs which had been roughly bandsawn in advance. The first three went well with no problems - kept my hands away from the cutter as I fed the ply through. Really can't say exactly what happend with the fourth but I suspect it had a bit more waste left on it. Anyway, the cutter grabbed the ply and pulled my left hand in too quickly for me to react. A & E patched me up but four years later I still don't have normal feeling in the worst affected finger, the index item which lost about 4mm in length. The lesson? I thought I was being very careful but it is the unappreciated risk that gets you. I finished the job using a simple jig in the Woodrat where it was physically impossible for fingers to meet cutter. Now, with any machining job I do everthing I can to ensure that that this criterion is met.

Jim

yetloh":1qmikf8c said:
Yes, a very small home-made one held in a vice , with a pivot pin to rout some ply discs which had been roughly bandsawn in advance. The first three went well with no problems - kept my hands away from the cutter as I fed the ply through. Really can't say exactly what happend with the fourth but I suspect it had a bit more waste left on it. Anyway, the cutter grabbed the ply and pulled my left hand in too quickly for me to react. A & E patched me up but four years later I still don't have normal feeling in the worst affected finger, the index item which lost about 4mm in length. The lesson? I thought I was being very careful but it is the unappreciated risk that gets you. I finished the job using a simple jig in the Woodrat where it was physically impossible for fingers to meet cutter. Now, with any machining job I do everthing I can to ensure that that this criterion is met.

Jim
That sounds very similar to my router table accident - namely getting a thumb pulled into the cutter. These days I always do an "air cut" first (like air guitar :wink:) and run through a cut with everything turned off - just to think about in what direction material might get moved by a cutter/blade, and where and how I would need to control something using push sticks or blocks instead of my digits.

bucephalus":1vm47ph1 said:
MarkDennehy":1vm47ph1 said:
breaking all my teeth at once because boobs
I feel like this is a story that deserves to be told! :shock:
Gavin
Used to do aikido, back in a previous life, in a college club. Every year, we get a bunch of newbies starting in and we always told them to wear t-shirts and tracksuit bottoms for the first few lessons, then buy the gi if they thought they wanted to take it up. This particular year, I'm partnered with one of these no-gi newbies, and we're practicing a throw. It's a training form, nice and gentle, designed for beginners to train without maiming each other. Problem is, about eight feet to my left is a newbie girl who hasn't tucked her t-shirt into her tracksuit bottoms and she's not wearing a bra. This being college, the newbie I'm training with has apparently never been flashed before, so when she does a forward roll at the end of the throw, he forgets what he's doing so he can stare, he doesn't let go of my arm as he's meant to, I do that thing that spinning ice skaters do when they pull in their arms, only I do it around a horizontal axis about two feet off the ground, and my head goes straight into the mats at speed before I can react (I said I was doing aikido, I didn't say I was any good at it). I'm pretty stunned by the impact and they walk me off the mats to recover and brief the young lady on attire (to be fair, she was a nice kid who was genuinely upset at her minor role in the accident). Most of my memories immediately surrounding that are a bit fuzzy, I just wound up going home with a pretty awful headache. Next morning, I get up and brush my teeth and hear this tink.... tink... tink... noise and when I look down, there are a dozen small white bits in the sink, and when I look in the mirror, there are a lot more. My jaws snapped together when I landed on my head, and I basically chipped and cracked every tooth I had. Took close to 20 hours in a dentist chair to repair it all. Can't really recommend it.

Wen I had my gall bladder out the wound in my bellybutton kept bleeding, a trip to the garage to add some more super glue sorted it out.
The nurse had taped a couple of dressings over it, hurt more that the op separating them from my belly hair.
I took this 20mins after waking up.

Now with less gall bladder by Racers, on Flickr

Pete

Gentlemen
Please keep your gory photos to yourselves.
I've just read this thread, and am going to have a sit down to recover!

Bod

ED65":uiq7dhjn said:
Glad it wasn't worse for you! Given the location you could have nicked a tendon, or severed it like my dad did once. That would not have been and in-and-out-in-30 lemme tell you :shock:
It sure would not have been. I cut the tendon in base of thumb being silly pruning an apple tree 40-odd years ago, and was in for three days if memory serves me right. But was lucky in that discovered after the event that the "local" hand surgeon was regarded as possibly the best in the UK. Unlike the butcher who did my first Dupuytrens op.............
(just to encourage, if you have the right wrong genes, hand trauma can trigger Dupuytrens; you have been warned)

Racers":2kbxmz0m said:
Wen I had my gall bladder out the wound in my bellybutton kept bleeding, a trip to the garage to add some more super glue sorted it out.
The nurse had taped a couple of dressings over it, hurt more that the op separating them from my belly hair.
I took this 20mins after waking up.

Now with less gall bladder by Racers, on Flickr

Pete
That looks nasty and agree removing the tapes a puppy!!! We need the opposite of the UV curing super glue, so when it needs removing you shine another light that breaks the bond.

Had the cut uncovered yesterday and think it really helped
6f278ea3e367669a51e9b23fc87178a6.jpg

There's a but of bruising coming out at the end knuckle, I'm hoping that's the only reason it's still painful to bend. Back tinkering in the shop again now, think I was fortunate it wasn't worse.
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That's looking a lot better now.

Just don't rip the stitches out, like I did after I had a a cyst removed from my elbow, I just bent my arm and they all ripped through. I didn't bother going back to get it sorted and when I went to get the stitches out they struggled!

Pete

It's taken a turn for the worse.
4104220e380c9748e91042ad5c9b4628.jpg

4b2739257f107419c3ddbc7b2ef77702.jpg

Thumbs really swollen and doc has prescribed strong antibiotics. Go back in a few days to check on its progress. Need to keep hand higher than my heart, apparently don't think about going back to work till its better. O joy

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

looks like the stitches have expanded and contracted in this weather...sorry couldn't resist that one

Back