My worst accident so far

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
There's been alot of chat lately about the dangers of spindle moulders. I opened my post the other day and found 4 identical letters with my so called 'butchers insurance' Basically you lose a body part and you get a payout.
5c8a8518fc25077bbe609fb90c3f4e3b.jpg

I'm not sure if they knew something that I didn't....... it's the best part of 20 quid a month and I've had it ever since an apprentice, I did consider canceling it.

Lapse of concentration/moment of madness and I slipped with a chisel and sliced into the top of my thumb. No big deal, I'll get a plaster and stick it on quick. On the way to get a plaster I turned around and noticed the blood trail- bit strange I thought. Opened up the drawer and removed the plaster box, then for the first time had a proper look to see what size plaster I needed. I chuckled when I realised there was so much skin moving around that I didn't have one big enough to hold it all together. I think it was about this time that I felt a bit light headed and decided it might need a professionals touch.
Unfortunately no pics of the gash, it didn't cross my mind to take a pic until now :lol:
Doctors were absolutely fantastic, in and out in 30 minutes with 4 stitches.
30412e5be89ff179fc11fee35dbcd456.jpg

Be safe guys, even hand tools can be nasty !

Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

good to hear you are ok coley, I recently cut myself when pairing a tenon when tired, you definitely have to be careful and be aware and take breaks when you are feeling even slightly tired, you live and learn. Ironically I did it whilst making a workbench, which once it is made will make things a lot safer for me, the current worktop/bench actually rocks and moves around constantly lol it's chaos. Hope you make a steady recovery.

Thanks chaps ;) anaesthetics all but wore off and it feels a bit tender now.

Cordy":2u5sgtrj said:
Coley, do you qualify for a pay-out ?
Nearly. If I had chopped the thumb right off i may have had a case [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
I guess it's made me question canceling it. Up until today I was going to, my thinking that it's had over 25k since taking it out. Guaranteed if I cancelled it I'd lose an arm the following week [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]

Coley

thetyreman":18pcqoam said:
good to hear you are ok coley, I recently cut myself when pairing a tenon when tired, you definitely have to be careful and be aware and take breaks when you are feeling even slightly tired, you live and learn. Ironically I did it whilst making a workbench, which once it is made will make things a lot safer for me, the current worktop/bench actually rocks and moves around constantly lol it's chaos. Hope you make a steady recovery.
You're gonna be spoilt when you have that new bench finished then !

Coley

Glad it wasn't worse fella. I've heard tell that single malt has a restorative effect. :wink:

super glue is very useful in a crisis, saves a lot of time as well.

All my worst cuts have been inflicted with chisels. My mate used to say to me."never cut toward your thumb, always cut toward your chum". A saying he picked up from his Father in Law, who was a boatbuilder.

My other half bought me some of that spray on plaster. I kept it in my toolbox for ages until i sliced my finger on a stainless steel sink. Reached for the spray and applied and nearly hit the ceiling with the shock of the pain. It did work though (eventually) but i think i'll be reaching for my first aid kit next time.

I make a habit of thinking about where the blade will go if something went wrong, but even that isn't foolproof. I cut myself with a knife the other day, cutting some old carpet. I had a safe cut underway, but had to move my grip on the carpet to keep it taut, moving my hand into the danger zone. As I did it, I simultaneously thought "this isn't safe", and cut myself before the thought was fully formed! Nothing worse that knowing better and hurting yourself anyway!

ColeyS1":g4ylcgzz said:
Up until today I was going to, my thinking that it's had over 25k since taking it out
Coley

£25k!! :O

25,000 / 20 = 1250 months
1250 / 12 = 104 years

doctor Bob":s7y4m5u8 said:
super glue is very useful in a crisis, saves a lot of time as well.

I'm justin waiting to hear if 'celox' has a shelf life. That might be worth keeping in the first aid box !

Coley

transatlantic":1f3zv9md said:
ColeyS1":1f3zv9md said:
Up until today I was going to, my thinking that it's had over 25k since taking it out
Coley

£25k!! :O

25,000 / 20 = 1250 months
1250 / 12 = 104 years
Not sure what happened there! 2.5k sounds much more reasonable [WINKING FACE]

I'm thinking the chainsaws most likely to cause me a serious injury out of all the machines. It's something I've not used alot and I've never had any training. This has got me thinking.

Coley

skipdiver":2185ir7k said:
All my worst cuts have been inflicted with chisels. My mate used to say to me."never cut toward your thumb, always cut toward your chum". A saying he picked up from his Father in Law, who was a boatbuilder.

My other half bought me some of that spray on plaster. I kept it in my toolbox for ages until i sliced my finger on a stainless steel sink. Reached for the spray and applied and nearly hit the ceiling with the shock of the pain. It did work though (eventually) but i think i'll be reaching for my first aid kit next time.
Sounds like wonderful stuff !! Reminds me of a skanky old iodine bottle my dad use to have. That stuff use to make me feel screaming.

Coley

''My worst accident so far...'' sounds like you're practising for something epic? :-D

NazNomad":3q7gmnku said:
''My worst accident so far...'' sounds like you're practising for something epic? :-D
Could be ;)

Yesterday I was using the spindle moulder with power feed. I could see something horrific was about to happen, but rather than stop, I got my camera phone out and video'd the entire event. I dont think karma's finished with me yet !! :)

Coley

Be careful if you pinch a near boiling hot teabag when you've cut your thumb/finger, its very painful.

Latest posts

Back