My workspace area.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mreagleeyes

Established Member
Reaction score
I have done the David Savage Fine cabinet makers course down in Devon and this was my work area.
I'll post my new workshop when I get round to giving it a dig out.

3602932295_e53e2a929f_o.jpg

3603743622_bac6f0e63c_o.jpg

3603743466_cc6c831fed_o.jpg

A chair design that still needs making, like most projects.
3602931811_d9668b62c4_o.jpg

Very creative chair. Surely that couldn't be made from wood could it? It looks way to delicate a design for what would could offer. How was the course did you like it? Did you have prior experience? What did you take from the course? No i don't mean stolen tools etc...

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a lot of concepts being thrashed out there. Did you enjoy the course? I'd love to do something like that.

Lovely bench and good to see a design process being worked through. Couldn't see the Kylie calendar though

crazylilting":vxcqnez7 said:
Very creative chair. Surely that couldn't be made from wood could it? It looks way to delicate a design for what would could offer. How was the course did you like it? Did you have prior experience? What did you take from the course? No i don't mean stolen tools etc...

Thank you. Your right, it didn't work. I layered up 6 X 1.5mm veneers or what ever it comes in, never remember!. And had a lovely half tenoned joint and it just would not support me.
I'm looking at recreating this piece but using a steel under frame with the veneers somehow attached over it. A one of piece for myself so cost shouldn't be an issue.

The course was very good. I learnt to take your time. Get it right first time and you'll save time later, use the correct tool for the job and sharpen the plane's and chisels before they need it. The amount of time's I thought that I could get away with one more day of a blunt chisel and it just dose not work.
I had a little experience before, spent my youth doing loft conversions and made furniture for friends but didn't have that finishing skill that was missing.
I think the course is more dedicated to classical styles, jewelry boxes and fine bed side cabinets are not my style but they do teach you the way timber works.
I'm fortunate now to understand design and also the way a joint would be best used.

MDF is still my big friend though. You'll get what you want from the course, take time off and you'll regret it, get stuck in and work and design and you'll easily create a hand full of lovely pieces for yourself.

I did steel from them. A 300mm 1500 Grit sanding disc thing that has be invaluable in making jewelry with Macassar Ebony.

Latest posts

Back