my workshop new security (stage 1)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi dibs

Martin

Do you have any windows in the "shed"?

Dibs

yes i do, four at the moment with none of which have any open lights to them , two more small ones planned to go in up in the cables end this summer these will be opening during hot weather to cause a through draft .

the original four are all double glassed units with the beading on the inside fore security reasons , (stage 3) will be fitting to all windows 25mm *2 mm flat bar interwoven like a mess and screw bolted on to the stud work on the internal side of the workshop . hc

head clansman":2j7m9us2 said:
hi dibs

Martin

Do you have any windows in the "shed"?

Dibs

yes i do, four at the moment with none of which have any open lights to them , two more small ones planned to go in up in the cables end this summer these will be opening during hot weather to cause a through draft .

the original four are all double glassed units with the beading on the inside fore security reasons , (stage 3) will be fitting to all windows 25mm *2 mm flat bar interwoven like a mess and screw bolted on to the stud work on the internal side of the workshop . hc

I'd be tempted to get some 1" square hollow tube, top and bottom, with a 10mm hole or so in the inner face, drop some round bar in (no hole on the outer face, so can't drop out) and bolt it to the studwork. A quick'ish solution and probably nicer looking & most likely less metal so therefore less cost. Not necessarily less secure.

Obviously if you can weld the connections even better - but it would work well without welding - especially if you could drill the holes a tad on the smaller side - warm them up with a blow-lamp and drop the round bar in. A plumbers torch with MAPP would getting it glowing.

head clansman":p968gcps said:
hi dibs-h

hmm , nice idea food for thought there. hc

If you go down the round bar\square tube route without welding - I'd be tempted to used s\s round bar. pipper to cut, crop and a damn sight harder than mild- but not stupendously more expensive.

Digit":1wfq39dd said:
Watched 'Death Wish 3' 'tother night. How about a sprung board that knocks the teeth out of anyone stepping through the doorway?

Roy.

Good idea... Sadly it's a 'mantrap' and illegal.
Funny old world innit ?

Friend of mine put 'Radiation Stickers' over all his guitar gear/cases. He never had anything stolen from his car.
John :)

hi guys

nice ideas but total illegal , beside I'd forget and one morning walk in and either get bitten, or get my own teeth smashed out , :? :? no I think I'll stick to the flat bars interwoven together close enough so not even a midget scrote can slip between them , should be enough to put them off two layer of glass breaking (noisy) (stage 5 glass alarms) and then the bars . hc

Martin another good idea for those that do not want a full blown alarm, are the smaller alarms which can be hidden from view and set to by pass the actual siren and just phone (you need a phone socket in the workshop) up to 5 or so numbers until it gets an answer, at which time it plays a prerecorded message. The benefit of this is that the scumbag has no idea you have been alerted and so will continue to try and make an entrance, or if he is already in will continue to look in wonder with a glint of glee in his eyes at the thought of owning all your lovely Karl Holtey planes.

At the same time you have two choices, you can phone the police and let them descend on your workshop and catch him in the act (after which the courts will take no notice of the police evidence and give him a slap on the wrist), or pick up the baseball bat and your van keys. You then chuck your wife the keys and tell her to bring the van around the back and after breaking the ar$ewipes legs and draging him to the van, you either drop him at the hospital or in the middle of the M1 :lol:

Seriously this is a cheap option that can give you the advantage of knowing thief is there, and giving the police a better chance of nicking him :D

Cheers

Mike

hi all

as promised some better pics showing the strength in this lock . I ordered a second one last night , it's already on it way hopefully tomorrow it will be fitted.

Thanks mike, I really have to look into the alarm systems available .

PDR_2425.jpg

PDR_2426.jpg

PDR_2427.jpg

PDR_2428.jpg

PDR_2429.jpg

A bit heath robinson but how about a touch sensitive switch electrially connected to the door handle rigged to an MP3 recording of a dog barking inside...

Jesus Thats one serious lock!

hi all

if anyone is interested , flee bay £16.75 or if you buy a pair £26.75 cheap . at my local euro fastener the same lock each £54 + vat, ouch.

head clansman":1k2purm9 said:
hi guys

nice ideas but total illegal , beside I'd forget and one morning walk in and either get bitten, or get my own teeth smashed out , :? :? no I think I'll stick to the flat bars interwoven together close enough so not even a midget scrote can slip between them , should be enough to put them off two layer of glass breaking (noisy) (stage 5 glass alarms) and then the bars . hc

I'm a fan of over-engineering and so forth - but even I'd give the woven bars a miss and just have the bars dropping\welded into the square tube. Can't see the point of both. If you really wanted to "supe" it up, mesh over the bars - 1" square mesh, say 2mm - should be sufficient.

If the glass thingy is an issue - you could either apply lamination film to the inside pane - assuming you don't want to replace the units. Or replace the units, slimming down the spacer but specc'ing laminated glass.

11.5mm laminated is a complete silly billy to get thru!!!!

So 11.5mm laminated - 8mm spacer - 4mm toughened - that'd be a shock for Johnny Asbo! :lol:

head clansman":1mzv3gfs said:
hi kingcod

after your breakin out of interest did you improve the security to your workshop . hc :?

yeah. that too. metal strip all down both doors to stop them levering the latch by hacking into the wood. I did fit a cheap shed alarm but I am too stingy to buy a camera . shh - its a secret :wink:

HC - where do you live?!? At this rate down-town J'burg is looking a better option?

I do understand your concerns but with bars on windows etc please make sure your workshop remains a pleasant place to be. Life is too short to make the lives of the majority poorer for the sake of the minority.

S

hi svb

HC - where do you live?!? At this rate down-town J'burg is looking a better option?

I do understand your concerns but with bars on windows etc please make sure your workshop remains a pleasant place to be. Life is too short to make the lives of the majority poorer for the sake of the minority.

It's better to be safe than sorry , how many time have we seen just lately here on this forum that an other of our members have been done over by some little scrote who has walked in and just walked away with hard earned tools from someone . Well I'm fitting out my workshop now after my retirement it taken a life time to gather my tools just for this stage of my life time so i can do all the things i promised myself and my wife , the police can no longer protect us any more as my family found out last yr when my 82 yr old mother in law was broken into by two of the little scrotes , it took the police 1 hr 50 mins to respond to a 999 emergency call .

Both officers when they eventually arrive apologized stating they were the only officer on duty that night covering 60 thousand home in south dorset that night so what chance do you think i would have if i call in about a workshop breakin, waite about a week ? and then receive a phone call giving me a crime number , then for the police to forget all about it , no thanks, I'll live with the extra security ,whats is in my workshop i want to remain there . hc

Hi,

Sorry if my post is at odds with your intent / concerns.

Hopefully you will have many trouble free years of fun and pleasure in your shop.

All the best,

Simon

At the same time you have two choices, you can phone the police and let them descend on your workshop.....

HA....ROTFL!!! Two weeks later and a couple of coppers turn up...check out the number of guitars and amps I have in the dining room waiting for repair...refurbishment and setup and are more interested in finding out what I am doing with so many!!!

Give me a break...the are simply NOT interested in anything remotely involving burglary and sheds....and that ain't their fault...it is the system of counting and chances of getting a conviction. Add to that being undermanned and overworked and you have a system that is flawed beyond anarchy.

Now...back to the fun bits...J'burg...that makes me think of another idea...

Door activated flame thrower?

:D :wink:

BTW that lock is serious stuff! I think they would take up tunneling

:wink:

Jim

hi jim

how you doing mate haven't had a chat lately with you.

BTW that lock is serious stuff!

thats what i'm trying to do make it seriously difficult for them to get into the workshop , luckily for me no one can see the locks until there on my property and hopefully when they see two of these will change their minds plus steel sheeting and go and do someone else over instead . hopefully the second one will arrive today that will be the end of stage 1 when that ones fitted , then stage2 which will be be fitting the steel plate over the door and the internal edge five point lock as well that will then take care of the door security . :wink: :lol: . hc

Thanks mike, I really have to look into the alarm systems available

I put in a yale. It is a wireless system and the box is on the house. Far enough up that it would take some serious thieves to bypass the alarm.

I did this after two break ins, thought the first was a random event, turns out they came back for what they couldn't get the first trip. When you loose almost £10000 in tools which is your livelihood it more then devastating. I had to start all over from scratch, digging holes and jobs that required little in the way of tools to build up to a point where i could do joinery again.

Non of my tools were found and the case made the local papers which didn't yield any leads. I couldn't imagine if it happened when i was retired, i'd probably commit suicide. I don't think you are going over board. I have a hard time sleeping at night and any little noise wakes me up. Do what you can and then do a little more, when you can. These thieves not only take tools just for the little they make on them they steel lives.

Latest posts

Back