My plane has dentils.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
I have two Stanley 5 1/2 planes, and from online research, they are both type 19 dated 1948-61. One of them, which has a V shaped casting behind the rear handle, has a toothed frog receiver whilst the other, which doesn't have the V casting, is plain. Does anybody know where in the 1948-61 period this plane fits and why were the dentils(?) added? I can't find any reference on line to this for either Stanley or Record planes.

No photograph yet because I have mislaid the camera to computer cable.

phil.p":1v65pk00 said:
Look at - The Superior Works: Patrick's Blood and Gore Planes.
Not sure how to post the link, but this'll get you there.

I already have and read everything very carefully, but no mention of this oddity. As manufacturing trends seem to be applied to all planes of an era, I have also checked several resources on Record planes.

I think this is the sort of question that has no interesting answer, except to observe that patterns were made and re-made and casting was subcontracted to various foundries, so variations are bound to have occurred.

As far as I am aware, it's the sort of minor detail which is covered to extremes by US collectors but not documented at all for Stanley's shorter-lived, smaller scale, English production.

My 5½ is a US one, so I can't offer a comparison.

The big snag with dating English Stanley planes is that all the references (I have found) are for USA made Stanleys and they are not necessarily directly comparable with UK ones, well not down to a single or two year anyway. There could easily be differences of several years between UK and USA introductions and removal of various distinguishing features.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the 'v' lines running from the back of the handle on the second plane were introduced so that 'green' castings could be worked. Previously castings were stood outside after forging to 'weather' and allow any stresses to show before the casting was worked. The accountants took over and decided this was old fashioned and costly, then the casting strips were introduced to reinforce the base area, so's it could be worked sooner. Less time in the factory, more money made. I think mid 70's, but stand to be corrected. hope this helps. Sorry missed the point, i.e. the dentils are/were part of the cost cutting in that it is less area to machine than a flat base.

This has really intrigued me. I can't remember ever seeing a frog receiver layout like the one in your lower photo.

It looks like they didn't want to spend much time on the receiver, so altered the mould so they could spend even less time flattening the bed. That thing must do more chattering than a SWRI meeting!

I have a UK and USA 5 1/2, so I'm going to check it when I get home.

Really good post. Thank you for sharing your mystery.

Jonny

Back