Marples 4 1/2 plane rebuild

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a slight correction on the original post. It's not a casting error, as such. The casting itself would have been perfectly fine. Rather, it's a drilling and tapping error (probably tapping). Cast iron is quite brittle and sometimes these things happen.

They may have "ummed and ahhhed" about pushing it further down the production line back in the day but obviously felt it would've had little impact on the working properties of the plane itself, so they let it through - and, let's face it, it's a tool that's been well used for many decades so they were probably right in their decision.

View attachment 106072

Success fitting a new bolt. It stands out a bit like the dog's danglies, but works fine and the frog will hide it.

Rejuvenation is now complete as per photos below -

View attachment 106073View attachment 106074View attachment 106075View attachment 106076

I didn't repaint the sole or frog. I don't have the right stuff and I thought it would destroy the plane's character. Instead I washed the paintwork with soapy water and a toothbrush. I then sprayed it with WD40 and wiped it all down. Finally I thoroughly waxed it.

There are still some marks on the woodwork. To completely remove those I would have needed to change the shapes!

Since the above I have lapped the sole and the cap iron to fit snugly against the iron. Only the sharpening left to do ( I think).

Thanks for the comments above. If anyone has any tips I can carry forwards to my next plane, they would be gratefully received.
I had a further thought on the frog bolt. Why not pop it into a drill chuck and round it up with a file and a little chamfer. Then cosmetically it will not stand out.

I had a further thought on the frog bolt. Why not pop it into a drill chuck and round it up with a file and a little chamfer. Then cosmetically it will not stand out.
Nice idea. Maybe sometime in the future?

This Marples plane is now my main user. It serves me well, and for the money I spent on it I have an excellent quality plane.

Back