My number 3-- Now with added shavings !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0legs

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought this little number 3 a few weeks ago, it's one I didn't have.
It arrived in a poor state, as can be seen, but it was complete and cheap.

After a strip down and a good clean in some solvents I gave the castings a quick sand blast.
A coat of etch primer then after that some more coats of primer, I then painted on two coats of BS110 Roundal Blue ( well the 2014 version of it ).
The knob and handle had been painted at some time which was disappointing so I mixed up a very dark stain and applied to the "bare wood". When this had dried I used clear lacquer.
All the bolts were cleaned with solvent and a brass wire brush. The cap and blade were given similar treatment. The lever cap is in quite good condition, the chrome is pretty good. I tried dating the plane and think it's probably late 1950's, am I right ??
The blade was sharpened, let's leave that right there. Everything oiled and assembled. I still want to do some more to the sole, there is a little pitting I'd like gone but I'm busy with other things at the moment.

There you, comments welcome.

Very nice, love those square shouldered laminated blades.
Any shaving shots?

Pete

Beautiful work; my own (tacile) preference is an oil finish for handles, but your varnish
is very easy on the eye.

BugBear

Racers":3m6j1dmu said:
Very nice, love those square shouldered laminated blades.
Any shaving shots?

Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks. I forgot you guys love the shavings :oops:
I'll have a little play down the shed and see what I can produce for you :D
By the way I managed to pick up a brand new Stanley No3 blade yesterday for £2 which I'll sharpen up and install. I can keep the original safe and only use it on special occasions :lol:

bugbear":1tdwu73s said:
Beautiful work; my own (tacile) preference is an oil finish for handles, but your varnish
is very easy on the eye.

BugBear

Thank you very much BB, much appreciated.
I was torn between just lacquer and put up with the stains in the handles or go with a darker colour to hide the marks. It is darker than I really wanted but it is okay, all my tools are users so it does get a little less important.

What I would really like is some of the labels to stick on the handle after a refurb so I've got a local printers on the case, but which one do I stick on as Record changed their style over the years. Do you think I've dated it correctly ??

One comment which I hope is constructive - I notice that you have taken the paint over the edges of the casting. Now, I only have a very few Record planes, and they are all older ones with the darker blue, but judging from pictures online, taking the paint over the edges seems to be a characteristic either of very recent manufacture (ie since Record became just a brand owned by a multinational group) or of full restoration projects.
Have another look at some of the pictures on http://www.recordhandplanes.com such as this one (click to enlarge):

Maybe they are all older than your example, but I think they look better with the edges of the casting sanded back to the steel.

Whatever way you decide, your plane is a much more attractive and useful tool than it was.

You've certainly done some good work there. However you have also taken off what antique restorers call the "patina" of age. All my planes are old Records and whilst I like to fettle them to get the best performance I also like to keep the cosmetic wear and tear to remind me of the craftsmen who have used the tool previously.

Chris

n0legs":3l9ph3jf said:
What I would really like is some of the labels to stick on the handle after a refurb so I've got a local printers on the case, but which one do I stick on as Record changed their style over the years.

There was a long thread or two about this a while ago, which ended up with Dangermouse getting some reproductions made, with permission from the current rights owners. Unfortunately I think he has stopped posting on here but he might be traceable elsewhere online.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/new-record-waterslide-decals-t49861.html

AndyT":38a55okx said:
There was a long thread or two about this a while ago, which ended up with Dangermouse getting some reproductions made, with permission from the current rights owners. Unfortunately I think he has stopped posting on here but he might be traceable elsewhere online.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/new-record-waterslide-decals-t49861.html

Thanks for the comments Andy, especially from your earlier post about the sides edges being painted.
I wasn't sure if originally these edges would have been painted and the paint had worn off with use. I need to do some more to the sole and sides so will sand back to bare metal then.
That's good news about the decals, glad I'm the only one who gets a bit picky :lol:

Mr T":16jxriip said:
You've certainly done some good work there. However you have also taken off what antique restorers call the "patina" of age. All my planes are old Records and whilst I like to fettle them to get the best performance I also like to keep the cosmetic wear and tear to remind me of the craftsmen who have used the tool previously.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes guilty as charged, all traces of the original owners have gone :lol:
I kept looking (and losing many an auction) then this one came up that had very little interest and lucky for me I won. It was fun to do the refurb, but a really nice original would have been prefered. My other planes are all older models, some inherited and some bought, and none of those have required this much work.
Thanks for the comments.

Great job / transformation =D> =D> =D>

Daft question but what do plan to use it for ?

I've got one gathering dust and the only reason I haven't sold it is, it shares a lever cap with a no.10 1/2 which I also don't use :? :oops: :?

Hello,

When most of the 'patina' is from rust, abuse and neglect, I would have no qualms totally erasing it! Deifiitely cut the paint back on the body edges, though, it will look even better. Nice plane!

Mike.

I was going to post a photo of my Number 2 but who wants to see my c r a p post, hee hee

Mr_P":bj5v0vj2 said:
Great job / transformation =D> =D> =D>

Daft question but what do plan to use it for ?

Thank you Mr_P.

I will use it :wink:
No seriously I will use it for little stuff when the block plane is a little too small :lol:
Honestly, since coming here I've turned into a tool Peach and I needed it sooooooooooooooo bad !!
It will be used when I do some shavings for Pete :lol:

woodbrains":3q20jkvg said:
Hello,

When most of the 'patina' is from rust, abuse and neglect, I would have no qualms totally erasing it! Deifiitely cut the paint back on the body edges, though, it will look even better. Nice plane!

Mike.

Hi Mike, thanks.
It was covered in all sorts when it arrived, there even seemed to be some kind of tar all over it that had to go.
Yup, the sides will be sorted.

Wildman":122yxfuv said:
I was going to post a photo of my Number 2 but who wants to see my c r a p post, hee hee

Yes, please do :D
I need a number 2 badly as well for a little job I have planned :wink: :wink: , got to save my pennies for that one though :lol:

What a transformation! :)

I just bought a Record Number 3 as well.
Mine was in quite good condition though -all I had to do was take a very little bit of surface rust of the sole and carefully clean the wood!
...oh and give it a sharpen too! ;)

Harry

As requested by Pete.
There's nothing scientific about these shavings. I planed a little oak, some spruce (I think) and some radiata pine (I think).
I'm happy with the performance of my little plane :D
I'm not sure how accurate my "verynear" is but I thought I'd try and measure one shaving.

Latest posts

Back