My new folding workbench - I'm after some feedback!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea, not that I personally have a use for anything like this but for the mobile tradesman it looks ideal.

Price wise, I think you are in the right ball park, only time will tell. I see you have had it on eBay for a week with a few watches, it will be interesting to see if you sell any.

A couple of tips for your eBay listing: Try adding a 'Make an Offer' option. You will get some really silly offers which you can just ignore but you will soon get a feel for what people genuinely are prepared to pay but you don't have to accept any of the offers.

Also, make a good demo video and embed it into your eBay listing, I am sure it will help.

Hope the above is of some use.

regards

Brian

Really like it, enough so that I am thinking of trying one. With regards to price, the difference between yours and others is that I can claim vat back with say the axminster of festool one, and also get free postage so suddenly yours is more expensive.

I like the Idea, Like the design and I can see where it could be useful. But the biggest bug bear for me is the amount of time I spend getting tools and kit in and out of the Van. I notice in your vid that you made 3 trips from the Landrover which was only a few feet away. On some of the sites I use I would be lucky to get 800 feet away from the Job. So Extra trips would not be something I would want. So for that reason I'm out :mrgreen:

murdoch":1qsryx49 said:
Really like it, enough so that I am thinking of trying one. With regards to price, the difference between yours and others is that I can claim vat back with say the axminster of festool one, and also get free postage so suddenly yours is more expensive.

That is a very good póint. One that inhavent thought of. Ill put an make an offer page on the ebay listings. Its hard to do a trade price through ebay and until i become vat registered i cant offer vat diacount but id happily ammend the price if you message me via ebay and ill talk about it there

RogerBoyle":1i31xeyb said:
I like the Idea, Like the design and I can see where it could be useful. But the biggest bug bear for me is the amount of time I spend getting tools and kit in and out of the Van. I notice in your vid that you made 3 trips from the Landrover which was only a few feet away. On some of the sites I use I would be lucky to get 800 feet away from the Job. So Extra trips would not be something I would want. So for that reason I'm out :mrgreen:

Thats something im working on. I bought a load of 2.5m black buckle straps and im looking ant how i can utilise the holes in the side to support the shelf and top and then a strap around the perimeter to hold it together.

It wihts 28kg all in so its about 2kg heavier than the standard mft3. So you can carry it all together
Your point also would rule out the axi then?

Thanks for your reply
Where are you based?

brianhabby":14f827s3 said:
I like the idea, not that I personally have a use for anything like this but for the mobile tradesman it looks ideal.

Price wise, I think you are in the right ball park, only time will tell. I see you have had it on eBay for a week with a few watches, it will be interesting to see if you sell any.

A couple of tips for your eBay listing: Try adding a 'Make an Offer' option. You will get some really silly offers which you can just ignore but you will soon get a feel for what people genuinely are prepared to pay but you don't have to accept any of the offers.

Also, make a good demo video and embed it into your eBay listing, I am sure it will help.

Hope the above is of some use.

regards

Brian

Great idea Brian iwill ammend the eBay listing. As for the video I want to do some proper instruxtional videos but im thinking of recruiting help so I make the most of it with someone elses experties.

My friend suggested that instead of me and my mrs jumping up and down on it inrecruit several heavily busted beautiful ladies wearing tite clithing as that would surely get me more views :lol: :lol: :lol: it made me laugh anyway!

JohnPW":1c868o8o said:
Is 'Chestnut' the brand or company name? There's a wood finishing products company with that name.

The companh name is chestnut solutions im teying to brand the stuff as chestnut. Again all is a trial at the moment. I need for it to become a proper brand so the name may have to change slightly

Stanleymonkey":2tuqzlyw said:
It reminded me a little of the bench by Ron Paulk, but after a quick google I can that this one is very different.

I like the design, simple and quick to put together - looks very strong too.

Good luck with it.

Ibought the Paulk olans and began making the bench when i first set-up on my own. However one thing quickly dawned on me and thats its too big for most UK households. In America pretty much wvery house has a large garden. Most have better weather and their rooms are stonkingly big so its perfect.

Over here a lot of people dont have garages and if they do they are single garages full of rubbish (i mean that respectfully)

As for weather, i live in North wales so id be able to use it outaide maybe 220 of the time if im being optimistic. And peoples rooms are much smaller... so i stopped building and moved onto thinkig something else. I then bought the wilmonts plans for the mftc cart again i made that and soon reàlised fully laiden (i had drawers not pull outs for systainers) made it impossible for me and also i had to lie it flat to get it in my landy ( i havrnt bought a van yet) or put it in my box trailer). There was also too much movement for my liking. But other than that its an ultra slick design that if you have a few days soare to make one then is good fun.

Im not dissing any of these designs they are all great but thwy just didnt work for me or my workflow. As for Paulk i watch and take in alot that he teaches... hes a clever man with a lot to offer

And now here i am haha. This is my take.

murdoch":2n5vh1iz said:

VAT is an additional cost though, you can't claim it back, but it isn't added on either so there is no difference in price. You buy something from axminster and the item is more expensive to cover the VAT. It's a common mistake people make when buying from small businesses/non-VAT registered, you are not saving 20%, you are simply not paying a premium in the first place.

So by knocking 20% off that isnt going to make any differnece to your vat bill? Well if thats the case then until i become VAT registered I cant do anything about that?

I didnt know that something i need to look into in the future

coach-carpenter":2gn3ij5m said:
So by knocking 20% off that isnt going to make any differnece to your vat bill? Well if thats the case then until i become VAT registered I cant do anything about that?

I didnt know that something i need to look into in the future

If you knock 20% then you lose out on 20% of your profit from the item, the person buying saves 20% on the purchase price, you suffer and the buyer benefits. When VAT is involved the 20% goes straight to the government, you don't make any extra money and the buyer doesn't save any money (since you inflated the price by 20% in the first place)

The bit to remember in VAT is the A stands for Added , so as Rorschach says the 20% is added to the price .

Ahh right. I see. Well message me on eBay if youre srill interested and ill discount it and take the hit. I will look at being Vat registered. I asume if i want to take this seriously then its a must?

Speaking to Ron Paulk would be a good idea. He's making a fortune from selling plans and he's already explored manufacture. He might be able to put you in contact with someone who's prepared to make it as a kit and you can just sit back and collect the royalty cheques for the design. Easy money.

There's some other home brew inventions for the woodworking industry that have found commercial success. Try FastCap and Axminster for design licenced manufacture etc.

The VAT is only an issue for people who are Vat registered. To most people it makes no differnce but every quarter i claim any Vat i have paid back from hmrc. So for me if i spend £1200 with a Vat registered company I know that i can claim £200 vat back so the actual cost to me is £1000. This is why £280 spent with axi or coach carpenter is actually £280 vs £233

I would only become vat registered if you have too which is when your turnover hits a certain amount. Threshold set at about 83k from memory.

murdoch":3gl79tkb said:
The VAT is only an issue for people who are Vat registered. To most people it makes no differnce but every quarter i claim any Vat i have paid back from hmrc. So for me if i spend £1200 with a Vat registered company I know that i can claim £200 vat back so the actual cost to me is £1000. This is why £280 spent with axi or coach carpenter is actually £280 vs £233

I would only become vat registered if you have too which is when your turnover hits a certain amount. Threshold set at about 83k from memory.

If the new bench had VAT on then it would be another £56 you would still be paying £280 after you've claimed your vat back.

clk230":3dt7lv8t said:
murdoch":3dt7lv8t said:

If the new bench had VAT on then it would be another £56 you would still be paying £280 after you've claimed your vat back.

assuming that it was still £280. the manufacturer would have been able to claim back the VAT on the components and materials, so it should be less than that.

Far to many assumptions going on , the price is the price .
If I was selling these on Ebay I would price at £299 or best offer with free postage and forget listing the same item countless times it doesn't help and is against Ebay policy .Maybe consider putting one up for auction ?

coach-carpenter":16wxa6sl said:
RogerBoyle":16wxa6sl said:

Thats something im working on. I bought a load of 2.5m black buckle straps and im looking ant how i can utilise the holes in the side to support the shelf and top and then a strap around the perimeter to hold it together.

It wihts 28kg all in so its about 2kg heavier than the standard mft3. So you can carry it all together
Your point also would rule out the axi then?

Thanks for your reply
Where are you based?

I wouldn't have the axi one either. I'm based in South Derbyshire. most of my work is Burton upon Trent, Swadlincote, Measham and Ashby-de-la-Zouch, with the Occasional trips out to Leicester, Nottingham and Birmingham.
Most of my work is Private sector Manufacture and fitting of Bedrooms and Kitchens with the occasional trip to help some friends out on site work.

I currently use two Stanley Plastic saw horses from Screwfix at £20 and A bit of 18mm MDF that I've drilled a series of holes using the Parf Guide system .
They can be carried at the same time in one arm while I carry something else like my transformer or drill box etc. etc.

Back