My first ever dovetail, critique please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grit_monkey

Reaction score
Today, being at a loose end, I decided to make a dovetail joint, I don't know why other than I was interested seeing how difficult they are(As I found out, not very) and I was bored.

Things I have learned.
1. Don't use cheap ply(unless it's going to be painted), the top veneer breaks out too easily!
2. cut a little deeper so that the dovetails can be sanded flush.
3. time taken planning the dovetail layout and marking out is time well spent.(Take into account that today I just wanted to make a simple joint so didn't spend much time at all marking out).
4. If the dovetails are a fraction below the surface of the adjoining board then a small triangle file is great to take a little extra off to let the joint sit a little deeper.

Anyway, I would welcome any critique (taking in to account the above that I have already learned today).

Attachments

• Dovetail.JPG
    Dovetail.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,280
If anything I'd say the tails are a little narrow, but crikey oh riley the joints fit nice and tight !! :cool: do one more like that, a little varnish and you'll have a couple of cool bookends ;)

Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":2hvi16c4 said:
If anything I'd say the tails are a little narrow, but crikey oh riley the joints fit nice and tight !! :cool: do one more like that, a little varnish and you'll have a couple of cool bookends ;)

Thanks,
I think that the tails being a bit narrow would come under the planning stage I mentioned in the OP, but I wouldn't have thought of that, so thank you :)

Thanks guys.

Really, honestly I have never ever made a dovetail joint before...Ever :oops:
I'm quite pleased myself, but know that they could be much better, and after seeing some of the fantastic projects other woodies have produced on here I thought where better to ask?

I suppose we are our own worst critics, but it does help, a lot, to have input from others.

Thanks again folks :)

I applaud your conservation efforts in not "wasting" (for want of a better word) nice pieces of hardwood. Practise on ply or pine, it makes much more sense. Also, if you can perfect DTs on ply or pine, then it should be a piece of wee wee on hardwood :)

Back