My dog, advise needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once trained my other old dog Jake..(RIP mate) to howl when he heard the Eastenders theme tune!
He was a smart dog too!

And you've been married how long Jim?

Any major scars to show for it? Like an axe to the head for instance :lol:

Lons":3qtp91kj said:
I once trained my other old dog Jake..(RIP mate) to howl when he heard the Eastenders theme tune!
He was a smart dog too!

And you've been married how long Jim?

Any major scars to show for it? Like an axe to the head for instance :lol:

33 years mate and I've hidden all the axes...wait...no...there are two on the kitchen top... #-o

Thanks mate!! Phew! That was close! :mrgreen:

Jim

Losos":2l9w8xqn said:
If you happen to live in a small hamlet the chances are that a dog will smell all the animals around, our two are frequently barking at deer, foxes, badgers, and God only knows what other creatures that come out at night, none of our neighbours complain because they know this and as country folk they understand.

You seem to have misread my post, I stated that our neighbours dog barks incessantly from dawn till dusk, not at the odd animal at night.

Your man Milan Kundera the French author seems never to have heard about the attacks carried out by dogs on children, and not by dogs which have been trained to do so., still, I expect it was the childs fault.

If there are any animal lovers reading this then have a look at some of the photo's on here http://www.huntingsafaris.net/Webalbum/DG/index.html This is sport by the way, just for fun.

Then you could get involved with us on here
http://www.causes.com/causes/789304-sto ... _source=fb

Andy

andersonec":2t1t0a5t said:
Losos":2t1t0a5t said:
If you happen to live in a small hamlet the chances are that a dog will smell all the animals around, our two are frequently barking at deer, foxes, badgers, and God only knows what other creatures that come out at night, none of our neighbours complain because they know this and as country folk they understand.

You seem to have misread my post, I stated that our neighbours dog barks incessantly from dawn till dusk, not at the odd animal at night.

Your man Milan Kundera the French author seems never to have heard about the attacks carried out by dogs on children, and not by dogs which have been trained to do so., still, I expect it was the childs fault.

If there are any animal lovers reading this then have a look at some of the photo's on here http://www.huntingsafaris.net/Webalbum/DG/index.html This is sport by the way, just for fun.

Then you could get involved with us on here
http://www.causes.com/causes/789304-sto ... _source=fb

Andy

Isn't it illegal to kill elephants & big cats?

Grayorm":d4aamero said:
Isn't it illegal to kill elephants & big cats?

Not in some countries, there are an abundance of hunting companies offering safaris ($40,000 for an Elephant with tusks) but they have to operate under a licensing system, they are allocated a C.I.T.E.S. (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) licence to hunt so many of each species, many of these hunts are on private land where the animals are fenced in, albeit a very large expanse of land.

I expect everyone thinks it is illegal to import and trade fresh ivory into the UK? well think again, once you have obtained a CITES licence you can legally go and hunt an Elephant and import the ivory into the UK as 'trophies' although there will be restrictions on the selling.

Here's another hunting company with some testimonials, have a look where most of the sexy tough hunters come from. http://www.africanskyhunting.co.za/testimonials.html

Sorry about side tracking off the thread.
Andy

I am not an animal lover particularly and I work with a lot of Americans and many of them hunt for sport and some for the table. I was extremely shocked when I found out a few years ago that a couple of the top VP's in my company and the CEO paid $50,000 each to shoot a lion each in Africa purely for the trophy room.

I have to say it does turn my stomach to think of that and it seriously impacted my personal opinion of their character but it is so ingrained in the US psyche to hunt and use guns that no-one else even expressed surprise!

We had a rescue dog from a shelter many years ago and I must agree with one of the previous posters, she must have been sedated. when she got home she was MENTAL ! I total con from one end to the other, we paid the home around £250 with one thing and another and acted as if they were doing us a favour. This bloody dog was uncontrollable, chased cars, dogs, went berserk in every time it went into the car, once it jumped over a 7 foot high gate to get at a dog in the road out side. Then decided it would be fun to hold itself all day and then come indoors in the evening and defecate all over the living room floor. After seven months of trying to get her right, including a dog trainer, I was on the verge of smacking her over the head with an axe. So we took her back to the home and they were VERY snooty about it all. Like it was our fault they they let us have a mad dog. But then you get some people think animals can never be to blame for anything.

Losos":18o67pik said:
andersonec":18o67pik said:
Here's another hunting company with some testimonials, have a look where most of the sexy tough hunters come from. http://www.africanskyhunting.co.za/testimonials.html
Andy

I won't look if you don't mind because the one thing I definately don't need is more evidence of humans aggression and devious nature.

I don't blame you, it's not a pretty sight, there are others where they are posing with the tusks above the mutilated Elephant, these are white, educated men by the way, not the African poachers who will be shot on sight if caught doing the same thing.

Andy

andersonec":tcq5lidt said:
......... these are white, educated men by the way, not the African poachers who will be shot on sight if caught doing the same thing.Andy

The crime for which the native africans are shot is obviously not the killing of the animals, then, but for not paying the ludicrous sum of money for the priviledge.

We are a sick, sick species. On one hand we condone unneccesary (even counterproductive) killing for kicks, on the other we get squemish about a little bit of horse in a burger..... because they are cute and friendly.

DrPhill":1rkxn8rj said:
andersonec":1rkxn8rj said:
......... these are white, educated men by the way, not the African poachers who will be shot on sight if caught doing the same thing.Andy

The crime for which the native africans are shot is obviously not the killing of the animals, then, but for not paying the ludicrous sum of money for the priviledge.

We are a sick, sick species. On one hand we condone unneccesary (even counterproductive) killing for kicks, on the other we get squemish about a little bit of horse in a burger..... because they are cute and friendly.

We send rescue teams across continents when there's an earthquake, then an army to kill people when we disagree with them or they have some oil that we want.

henton49er":36td00xg said:
Losos":36td00xg said:
Any dog can be brought back from the brink - you need a dog psychologist (joke not, there are plenty around and they do work, if you follow their advice to the letter) and limitless amounts of patience. Re-training behaviour issues is not easy, but plenty of small food bribes is a great help (we use liver cake - a foul smelling concoction of minced liver, flour and egg cooked in the oven and frozen in doggy bite size pieces; they love it).

Dogs are scavengers, but mostly they are carnivores. They shouldn't really eat flour. Especially not self-raising flour, as the yeast therein can give dogs a type of thrush.

Here's a longer list of no-no foods for K9...

Alcohol
Avocado
Coffee, Chocolate
Macadadamia Nuts
Grapes and Raisins, as these can cause kidney failure within 24 hours!
Garlic and Onions in the raw form; worse for cats than for dogs
Salt
Yeast Dough
Mouldy and/or spoiled food (Mouldy food I agree, but dogs do love meat that's on the turn. They even bury it, to go to later. Although, fly-blown meat can cause diarrhoea.)
Raw Salmon, so if you feed dogs with raw food, don't include salmon.

I wouldn't feed a dog mouldy food, but then I fed my old chap mostly meat and some fish.
HTH :)

My Jake used to drink pints of Guinness, nick any fish including salmon when I stupidly left a plate of sushi on the coffee table..(his favourite was prawns)...cheese....ham...salted crisps...curry...the list goes on.

So that's why he only lived until he was nineteen!

Now I know! :wink:

It's like this "don't feed cats milk" business...my daughter's cat "Pusscat" (I kid you not)...died at Christmas age 21...and she loved milk.

I tell you one thing though John.....they say humans shouldn't smoke or drink alcohol or eat red meat....and up until 5 years ago I did all three from the age of 16...and they're bleedin' right!!! :mrgreen:

Jim

Ah well Jimi..
My dear old Dad used to say raw fish would give us worms! Only by cooking it, was it safe to eat.
I'm unsure if he was right, but I do know that many fish do have parasites living in and on them.
I tried sushi just once. Never again. For the same reason I don't eat smoked-salmon. I will eat fillet steak raw and I love 'steak tartare', as long as it's made from beef and not horse-meat!

As for red meat, I live on it, and any other kind of cooked meat and fish. with salad veg or greens. (No starch or sugar, although I do miss my beer. ) Nice diet eh?

For the first time in 15 years my weight is dropping, my blood pressure is returning to normal and the signs I had of onset diabetes have vanished. So I guess it takes all sorts Jim. :D

My old dog lived to be 14 and his only trouble was a slight eyesight problem. He began mistaking me for the postman! :mrgreen: :D

Indeed John....raw fish is great for the diet. The Japanese in certain villages only eat tuna and drink green tea and apparently don't suffer anywhere near as much from diseases as us Westerners. That was before the tsunami mind you....so very sad.

I would be very wary of eating sushi in this country...the fish has to be super fresh.

I make my own sushi...now that I've mastered the sticky rice thing...and go up to Sea Woo in Greenwich for the fish...that's as fresh as you get exotic fish in this country without mugging a passing factory ship!

Of course I was being very irresponsible saying you can feed your dog beer and crisps and your cat milk!!

That was what my animals were given occasionally before I even knew about feline problems with lactose and the dangers of a crazy dog when three sheets to the wind! Since their passing in at ripe old ages...I have banned cats from the house..I refuse to be a slave to anybody (huge grin here!)...and only have ALFIE who only gets lettuce (he loves that)...turkey and cereals...he loves them too.

So I hope that any potential pet owner here reads your advice rather than my drivel! :mrgreen:

Jim

Aww well Jim,

People say It's irresponsible eating so much 'saturated fat'. But then so is drinking too much beer; and coffee?

A little bit of what you fancy I suppose.

I'd rescue a dog a day if I could.

andersonec":1p5hb64q said:
I don't blame you, it's not a pretty sight, there are others where they are posing with the tusks above the mutilated Elephant, these are white, educated men by the way, not the African poachers who will be shot on sight if caught doing the same thing.
Andy

Think I'll not come back to this thread, I'm already depressed 'cos my computer is not working properly today and this thread is just making things worse :!: I hope you all have a good day :)

phil.p":3bqnmrdv said:
On "sushi" - apparently it's recommended that fish is frozen first, to kill parasites.

So maybe my old Dad was right then?
Interesting. Thanks Phil.
No more interruptions from me on this dog thread.. I promise! :)

Back