My bandsaw spring recommendation.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter G Denmark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Springs are often weak in the newer bandsaws. Maybe because manufacturers want to make sure that the spring yields before the frame does, which makes sense.
However - sometimes when resawing thick stock, you want that ekstra tension, which should be within the frames abillities/tolerance, but the you realize that the spring doesn't return to it's original size/length when releasing it. Proper hardened new springs should do this, but as stated - they often dont on newer imported machines.

So i tested the force of my spring, and then tested my frame. I asserted 50% more force than the original spring could give when fully compressed, and i deflected by 1 mm, but it returned to it's original shape when releasing the tension every time. So i actually went for a spring that was 70% stronger than the original.

But the reason i wanted a new spring wasn't to give more force, but just to give the force that the saw was built for, without the spring deforming. If springa aren't depressed more than half way, they will last much longer, so the ekstra force is nice in that department as well.

I thought this would be a huge problem to find, but to my amzement, when i wrote springs (in Danish: Fjedre) the first site that popped up was a company that actually delivered to private customers. I paid around £25, and even though i live in Sweden, the springs arrived from Denmark the next day.

I have no affiliation with them, but just wanted to recommend, since these kind of special items can be hard to find. These springs are really nice quality, and has made a HUGE difference in the quality of my cuts, when sawing with 20mm bi-metal blades.

Check them out at http://www.industrial-springs.com (or www.fjedre.dk for Danes), or go to their webshop here http://www.industrial-springs.com/onlin ... ymond.aspx .

Back