multitool recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Bosch pmf180 has died after not a lot of work so I'm fuming.

Can anyone recommend another one?

The terratek on amazon is well reviewed.

Worx and Stanley are similar prices in homebase with 3 yr warranty

lidl have li-ion one for £40 next week which sounds ok.

+1 for the Makita. Had a Fein for years before that - great tool, but the blade slippage became really bad. Makita and Bosch have the same style of non-slip blade fitting, btw.

I'm not surprised you are disappointed with Bosch. I've made several comments in these forums about what I think of them, and a number of others have agreed. I have also read plenty of bad reviews regarding their poor customer service.

I won't buy Bosch again. I don't like cheap tools because they don't last, even for a DIY person like me, but if I want to waste money on tools that don't last then I can do so by buying NuTool or Power Devil instead of spending out on Bosch for what seems to me like similar quality for a lot more money.

I like Makita though. Very impressed.

K

Have you tried contacting Bosch? Their tools have a 2 year guarantee and in my case one quick phone call resulted in a courier collecting my old tool and a new one being dispatched within a couple of days. I appreciate that you may not be over the moon with the tool in the first place but it has got to be worth a call, even if you sell the replaced one on to fund an improved model

James

P.S. I did not need any kind of proof of purchase they could date the tool by its serial number

I'm happy with my Bosch Professional GOP250CE. I think I paid £99 a couple of years ago for it.

Mark

I have a number of the Ryobi 18v li-ion tools including the multitool and they're great bits of kit. They also do the multitool in a mains version.

I've used Makita and DeWalt kit in the past but the Ryobi stuff seems to hold up well in everyday use and it costs a lot less.

If any of my Ryobi tools broke (none have yet and they've had plenty of hammer) I'd definitely replace them with the same.

Thanks.

I've sent an email to Bosch customer services. It is 4 years old but it has done very little work, I don't normally complain (yeah yeah!) but this one is a big dissapointment. I'll see what they say. Its not like the motor burnt out.

I'll have a think about a better make otherwise. Lidl's 3 yr warranty may be worth a shot though.

Snap snap snap! Completely agree. I've got the ryobi multi tool and it's as good as the other stuff out there. I've got a decent selection of their 18v stuff with interchangeable batteries and the battery charging station and it's all good. I wish they did a belt and or random orbital sander in the range as the standard sander is just a basic orbital one. I've got their impact driver which is absolutely stonking. Hammer drill is excellent. Nail gun is really good. Jigsaw is also excellent. The 18v circular saw is good and has never let me down but you do notice the difference between battery and mains. I've also got the reciprocating saw and impact wrench which are mainly for use of the car and again these are both really good. Ryobi kit is excellent. Maybe not for the pro using it all day, but for DIY it's fab. I do know a few guys who do use it professionally and love it.

I've had the Lidl mains version for about 18 months and I've given it a lot of hard use with no problems. I think I paid under £30 for it and it has a three year warranty. (hammer)

Regards Keith

Selwyn":182o62yo said:
Lidl's 3 yr warranty may be worth a shot though.
There's an identical one, just a different colour, in Aldi at the moment for the same price. I picked up one and it seems good for the money. It's not a tool I expect to use an enormous amount, so spending big name prices wasn't worthwhile.
I suspect that using a better blade will improve performance, like most cheap saws. It uses a standard Bosch blade fitting.

DiscoStu":kwodn2n8 said:
Ryobi kit is excellent. Maybe not for the pro using it all day, but for DIY it's fab. I do know a few guys who do use it professionally and love it.
I've had Ryobi EDP5530L Variable Speed Drill Press for some while now and have nothing but praise for it. I know some sneer at any drill press that's not a Meddings, Fobco etc but this Ryobi is powerful, well made, accurate and has done all I've asked of it.

+1 for the Fein. There are lots of deals on the various kits and it is an excellent piece of equipment. Also, IIRC, Shark Blades are the cheapest replacements and they're also decent quality.

Thanks,
Neil

I had a Bosch, which lasted about 2 weeks it was rubbish with a a Capital C !!

I swapped it for a Fein, now that's a quality tool, cost about twice the Bosch but ten time better. It's ideal for cutting in tight corners when laying hardwood flooring or laminate.

I've got a Fein and had it for many years but it was not cheap though and the on/off switch doesn't work anymore, it's constantly on, I also got very cheesed off with the blade slipping at times.

I also have a lot of Ryobi One+ stuff and love it, I bought the multi-tool from the US for silly money (I think it was less than £45 delivered) and it seems to work as well as the Fein, I also have the Angle Grinder, 2x Hammer Drills, Orbital Sander, Profile Sander, Stapler, Brad Nailer, Impact Driver, Reciprocating Saw, Jigsaw, Circular Saw, SDS Drill & Speed Saw Rotary Cutter.

mark aspin":1bi8bglp said:
I'm happy with my Bosch Professional GOP250CE. I think I paid £99 a couple of years ago for it.

Mark
So am I, remember there is a big difference between the green(DIY) and blue(pro) from Bosch, most of my power tools are Bosch and I have never had any problems.
I spotted the one in Aldi that is 39.00 at the moment, almost bought it but SWMBO was with me. :mrgreen:

Back