Multipoint locks in wooden doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't see what will hold the doors flat against the frame

This will be done with the flush bolts that are fitted top and bottom to leaves 2 + 3. The multilock is mainly for door 1 with the added security that if one day i did forget to lock the flush bolts (doors 2+3) it wouldn't be a case of simply pulling away from the frame as you state.

Not sure if that makes sence :?:

Oh I see. Yup, that makes sense. I think I was just being a little slow...

Jake":1myt2jon said:
You need to check that the doors are not 'final exit doors' because many/most insurers do not approve of multipoints being fitted on final exit doors (meaning a door for which the first line of defence is the lock, i.e. fronting a publicly accessible area), because they do not meet BS3261.
That seems odd. Are you saying there are better ways of securing a domestic door because I'd like to hear about it. Fitting two or three star multipoint locks is about the only way to achieve Police approval for door security over here. Night latches and rim locks won't even get a single star grade.

It's daft in my view too, but the relevant British Standard is probably just out of date, and the insurers haven't caught up. The police like them - there's an initiative called Secured by Design, which gives their seal of approval to many multipoints, as does the Locksmiths Association which has a list of multipoints it regards as being at least as secure as a BS3261 lock. Still, most if not all insurance policies insist on a BS3261 lock on final exit doors, and for some reason multipoints cannot meet BS3261 - the reason might be as simple as it requiring a five lever mortice lock, but I'm not sure.

I looked into the Winkhaus stuff - it looks very good, but they are a spectacularly unhelpful company at least for one-offs. They wouldn't give any technical assistance, referred me to a retailer they said would be able to assist, who wasn't interested either!

I found that at first but now the online supplier has been very helpfull and even giving nice discounted prices too.

I went with Winkhaus as they do have all the information needed on the website.

Latest posts

Back