Multipoint locks in wooden doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experince fitting these? I'm looking on a site that offers 100's of them, different locking types to suit my requirements but not sure if these are 100% suitable for timber doors.

I can't see the problem but wouldn't mind knowing if they are going to be.

Example:

http://www.directlocks.co.uk/fuhr-type- ... -1873.html

Thanks

Just having a quick look at the one you posted, I think thats only for the lock.
I assume when you said multi point you mean the ones with 2 hook bolts too?
this is one I found after a quick look on the site
http://www.directlocks.co.uk/erasar...ch-deadbolt-92pz-multipoint-locks-p-1944.html
It's pretty similar to fitting a standard mortice lock, the only dimension that is critical is the the groove for the thickness of the top bar,
and there is enough clearence on the smaller groove.
this is so that when you screw the top bar in, it doesnt cause the bottom bar to bind up.
The bottom bar slides up and down moving the hook bolts in or out.
I hope this is of some help

I have used the Muklt-i-Lock 4-way locking system in the past. In additiuon to mortising out for the lock it is necessary to rout-out the locking bar housings and to glue a cover back-in over the top. messy, but very, very thief-proof

Scrit

Mul-T-Lock is the correct spelling (it would help if I looked at my keys! :oops: ) and they make this type of multi-point lock. Any good locksmith shouyld be able to supply, look for the sort of firm who supply Assa, Abloy (Mul-T-Lock are owned by Assa-Abloy), Abbus, Ingersoll, etc locks and/or do safe work and they should be able to deliver. There's also a padlock manufacturer called Garrison who appear to have some form of licensing agreement with Mul-T-Lock. Their padlocks are cheaper and extremely robust as well as being difficult to pick

Scrit

Scrit, thanks for digging that out. Not sure if correct but i think it needs to be a 'hook' type deadlock for bi-fold doors.

LyNx":2xoqgez1 said:
Scrit, thanks for digging that out. Not sure if correct but i think it needs to be a 'hook' type deadlock for bi-fold doors.
Hmm, I don't think so. I believe using "hook" bolts instead of rods merely allows adjustability after fitting. French doors and Bifolds use a different multi-lock with stays that exit vertically from the top and bottom of the door.

Edit: have a look at this image:
mpldeur.jpg

Spot the locks top and bottom.

Los, this won't work with my set-up as the track is above the doors so no fixing spot.

Why i would like hook type deadbolts is so if doors 2+3 are not secured one night, you can't pull open as door 1 (with the locks) will restrict sideways movement.

If using a standard pin or deadbolt any sideways movement will just pull them out of the keeps.

Steve, I took the image from a Dutch lock maker HMB, so probably not much use to you. As Jake said there should be loads around but I don't know many British lock makers and I doubt if Nemef, Lips or Buva are available in the UK.

I'm still not convinced the hook bolts would work on French doors. The hooks are quite thin and only resist outward movement because the keep is fixed. If the keep is in another door which is not fixed then I imagine (I don't know, I'm guessing based on what they look like) you could pull it open.

Scratch that, just re read your post Andy and I see you are relying on the hook shape to hold the door IN the keep.... I'm still not sure it will work though...!

Jake
Excellent, thank you. I just need to work out which one I need.

I've also been looking at the Hafele offerings. I have a lot to learn here about what does what and in what situations.

Thanks again for the link, much appreciated.
S

Andy and I see you are relying on the hook shape to hold the door IN the keep.... I'm still not sure it will work though

Not even if the hook locks are deadbolted too?

This will only be when the doors have not been locked via the flush bolts (ie, I forgot to lock them), which will only be after the doors have been fully opened (need hot weather for that)

You need the shootbolt versions for double doors, really, I think.

The slave/master combinations allow you to lock both double doors at the handles, rather than having manual shootbolts top and bottom in the slave door.

After than, the more rollers and/or mushrooms the better, especially on big doors.

The combinations are a bit boggling, especially when you get into the different backsets and stuff - like Scrit said, I think a good locksmith or ironmonger is worth their weight in gold in helping locate and specify the right gear.

You need to check that the doors are not 'final exit doors' because many/most insurers do not approve of multipoints being fitted on final exit doors (meaning a door for which the first line of defence is the lock, i.e. fronting a publicly accessible area), because they do not meet BS3261.

Jake, not sure if i didn't make it clear enough at the start.

These are 3 doors (bi-fold) that all open to the right side. The locking keeps will be in the main frame, not a door.

I will ask the local company here and i have been talking to a supplier online since this morning about these. Thanks for the input people

LyNx":2bhl7ndv said:
Andy and I see you are relying on the hook shape to hold the door IN the keep.... I'm still not sure it will work though

Not even if the hook locks are deadbolted too?

This will only be when the doors have not been locked via the flush bolts (ie, I forgot to lock them), which will only be after the doors have been fully opened (need hot weather for that)
I just don't see what will hold the doors flat against the frame. In my mind it would be possible to at least push/pull the doors into a bow shape even if the door doesn't open completely.

I think what you are looking at is something like this:

http://www.hmbprofittools.nl/Html_nl/4seizoenen.htm

Ignore the Dutch, the pictures should be enough ;)

You need to check that the doors are not 'final exit doors' because many/most insurers do not approve of multipoints being fitted on final exit doors (meaning a door for which the first line of defence is the lock, i.e. fronting a publicly accessible area), because they do not meet BS3261.

Good point. These are replacing a set of doors that already have a multipoint locking system but i will find out. Thanks

Sorry Lynx, I was sort of having a side conversation with Steve.

If your doors concertina to one side, then shootbolts in the last door should give some security - I think you'd have to have manual shootbolts on the other two, either on the faces or hidden on the edges. I think that's where you'd got to anyway.

Back