MRMDF 30mm thick help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a project where I need 30mm thick MRMDF. First time I’ve used this thickness. Couldn’t find any anywhere so ended up ordering it on line. Arrived today……but…..it doesn’t look like it’s MRMDF. The core doesn’t have greenish tinge I expect, it’s the standard brown of MDF. Now, as I haven’t had this thickness before, should 30mm MRMDF have the green tinge to it’s core??

I’ve just had a quick look online and although I didn’t see 30 mm mr mdf they all had the green tinge you mentioned. 6 12 15 18 and 25mm all have the slight green tinge . Also evident in the 8ft x 2 ft 22mm flooring. Sounds like they may of sent you regular MDf.

@Bingy man thanks, I’ve used 25mm which is green, and I also had 22mm delivered at the same time as well which is greenish. Around where I am I could get 30mm MDF just not MRMDF.

@Bingy man thanks, I’ve used 25mm which is green, and I also had 22mm delivered at the same time as well which is greenish. Around where I am I could get 30mm MDF just not MRMDF.
As a get out of jail card you could use something like this to treat the standard MDf- not as good as manufacturers treatment but just a thought if your project is time sensitive not to mention the ball ache of returning and waiting for another delivery..

I'd be suspicious. I'd challenge it and ask them to prove that it is what you asked for.
I've also looked for 30mm MRMDF and given up because I couldn't find it locally. Standard brown in 30mm is much easier.

I bought it from
30mm Moisture Resistant MDF Board 2440mm x 1220mm (8' x 4') - Sheet Materials Wholesale
Now, there technical spec on the sheet says it’s made by Kronspan…….but looking in Kronospans web site, they don’t actually make 30mm MRMDF. I’ve emailed Sheetmaterials and they have responded very quickly saying they are checking with the warehouse. I suspect a conversation is going to ensue.

I have an order for some custom architraves where they want it out of MR MDF for ease of painting. I had thought I’d be laminating up 12 and 18 until I found it online. I might still have to.

I've had MRMDF delivered before and it was 18mm stuff......The 12mm in the middle was green but the outer 3mm surfaces were normal MDF colour....!!?? ......I think it depends on the brand....?

I got some 3/4" in the past and it looked identical to standard MDF except it had blue inked "moisture resistant" stamped around the edges. I would think that if it was MRMDF that it should be marked or have a sticker on it if not following your usual conventions. Perhaps contact them and ask. If they made a mistake they will likely correct it.

Pete

@deema out of interest who delivered it, I found this an interesting statement on their web site :

"CAN I COLLECT IT FROM YOUR WAREHOUSE?

Unfortunately, we don’t offer a collection service. "

@HOJ It was a man in a transit type van…..very low on the axels with what I’d ordered in the back!! He was happy to help off load, but I have a stacker truck that lifted it off. I was expecting a wagon.
It was good, the delivery gave me a call 1 hour before he was arriving.

The company have written back stating that it definitely is MR MDF……we shall see how ell it takes paint!

Be interesting to get your review, I'm after 20 sheets of 18mm OSB their price is quite good.

Processed the 22mm MR MDF, which was a nice green colour throughout and it machined superbly into custom skirting, which I’d expect from the manufacturer of the board specified. Supplied without any damage to the edges. Very happy with that. Stuff arrived within 3 days of order, they called the day of my order on line to confirm a delivery date. I could have changed it, very nice to talk to.

About a year ago when there was a shortage of stuff I got sent some 18 mm MR MDF by Lavers which was normal MDF colour (just slightly darker if anything). Their 18mm is normally Medite with brown faces and a green core so I was a bit suspicious of it but they assured me it was MR just a different brand. It did feel heavier than normal MDF so I believed them.

Can't imagine it's much fun handling a sheet of 30mm MR MDF :(

.....Their 18mm is normally Medite with brown faces and a green core......

Can't imagine it's much fun handling a sheet of 30mm MR MDF :(
That will be what I had delivered that time I reckon Doug.👍

I really struggle when lifting/ carrying a sheet of 25mm MRMDF.......I certainly wouldn't fancy picking up a 30mm sheet 😥

I have stock of 30mm Medite MRMDF which has the green core. If you have ordered Medite then you should be suspicious. Otherwise, I'm not aware that other brands duplicate the green core concept.

Regards Chris.

Back