Planner Thicknesser Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgwoodwork

Reaction score
Hi,

I don’t have a planner (jointer) or thicknesser to mill timber and as such have to buy PAR and hope that the timber comes in constant thickness and doesn’t have any bowing, cupping, twisting etc.

I recently bought 3 pieces of Oak PAR 30mm thick x 220mm wide x 1m long from the Oak Store Direct as I’m looking for suppliers. Two of the boards were perfect, dimensionally the same and with a good grain match, however the third piece was bowed.

These boards will be used as shelves so no issues, however my next project will use £600 worth of Oak, again PAR which I will probably buy from Yandles. As I will be gluing up panels these must be perfect.

In the event of receiving bowed or cupped boards can anyone recommend someone who is local to me who can do some milling? I’m based in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Giles

If i was paying £600 for my timber and it was warped /bowed on delivery ,then it would go straight back to the supplier . Not from your neck of the woods so cannot help with the milling if needed but keep looking as there will be someone nearby.

Not sure of your knowledge / experience, but stacking and storage conditions of the timber are fairly vital, so once it arrives, check it and then if the finished location is in the house, thats where you need to put it... every board on stickers ( bearers to ceeate a stack ) so airflow can get to all faces, including the very bottom face.
Unfortunately wood is a natural product and does tend to move

@Yojevol - thank you, I’ll keep you in mind and get in touch if I have an issue and once I work out how to send a DMs.
@baldkev - I was planning on keeping them in the house but good shout on stacking.

@Yojevol - thank you, I’ll keep you in mind and get in touch if I have an issue and once I work out how to send a DMs.
@baldkev - I was planning on keeping them in the house but good shout on stacking.

Click on the members name and you'll see a box appear, one button says 'start conversation'

You might need a couple more posts

I see you've already had a similar offer from Yojevol, but here's a second option if you need one. I'm near Berkeley if you can bring the oak down this way, you're welcome to run it through my planer thicknesser.

I would look at getting yourself a PT if possible, it will make the whole woodworking thing much easier.

@robotmannick - thank you, very kind.

@Doug71 - PT … personal trainer or planner thicknesser … both on my list :) My plan is get a few pieces under my belt before investing in a planner thicknesser … I know that once I do get a PT, I can buy rough sawn lumber which will be much cheaper than PAR plus I can mill to my hearts content. Thanks.

Back