So my MDF was delivered...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered some 12 and some 18mm, all MRMDF. The 12 had a green core and you could feel the resin. The 18 was all brown so I questioned the delivery guy. He said it was moisture resistant but I wasn't having it. I felt the edges and it was a fluffy feeling, not the stiffer resin feeling. So, standard mdf as far as I was concerned. I've sent him back to the sawmill asking for the green stuff.

Was I right to? Can MRMDF be all brown?

Thanks, I read that same page, it says the 8x4s are green. My sheets were 8x4 and brown with no resin feel to the edges...

Having now spoken to the yard manager, he questioned the supplier when the batch arrived and was assured its mrmdf. But he's not 100% certain so I'm definitely not. From now on it's green only for me.

Last edited:
I've had all brown MRMDF before although the core is a different shade of brown and the faces surfaces are quite shiny and dense.

I've had this same query recently. If it's all brown, it should have a green mark about 2" long somewhere on the edge indicating it's mr. Used mine on bench tops and finished up just fine.

ironically my local yard has Medite green mdf ( 6mm) and its poo. very grainy. proper good stuff feels sharp on the edges I reckon. the green sandwich stuff is OK.

I normally get mine from Lavers and think it's normally Medite they supply. The 6mm, 9mm and 12mm are normally green and anything 15mm and up is brown with a green core.

When MDF was in short supply they did send me some unbranded 18mm MRMDF which was all brown (definitely no green mark) but it did fell heavier and was a bit shinier than normal MDF, in fact it machined better than the Medite stuff I would normally use.

Tricoya is the one you need to be careful with, that looks a lot like normal MDF but is £200+ a sheet, I always write Tricoya on any offcuts so I don't get mixed up.

Me too, ordered MRMDF 30mm thick, and it was brown, however when I looked at it against standard MDF it did have the slightest hint of green to the brownish colour throughout. It threw me as I’ve only ever Medite with a distinct green core and brown outside or it’s been very green throughout. Anyway, checking with the seller and after machining and painting, it’s definitely all the characteristics of MRMDF and not MDF.

I normally get mine from Lavers and think it's normally Medite they supply. The 6mm, 9mm and 12mm are normally green and anything 15mm and up is brown with a green core.

When MDF was in short supply they did send me some unbranded 18mm MRMDF which was all brown (definitely no green mark) but it did fell heavier and was a bit shinier than normal MDF, in fact it machined better than the Medite stuff I would normally use.

Tricoya is the one you need to be careful with, that looks a lot like normal MDF but is £200+ a sheet, I always write Tricoya on any offcuts so I don't get mixed up.

200 notes!! Is it covered in gold leaf?

I think mdf is like Pandora box. b and q 25mm was a medite trade which was lighter than normal( extra fluffy core) the Mediterranean green 6mm has a distinctly bargain stamp. they must have many qualities many of which are poo. premium stuff has a sharp edge after sawing. the grade that gets veneered in 8 by 4 s is really good dense stuff. been using poplar core birch face ply from garnica. it really is outstanding much better than many grades of birch throughout face wise. it needs no sanding at all.

Evening, is Lavers generally the cheapest for Medite MR presently on the south coast? Goodwillies in Waterlooville always seem quite pricey and they butcher their boards on delivery which is annoying.

Back