Most used thing you have ever made.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cordy":wb76zxg6 said:
This coffee table is used all the time in our lounge
122 pieces of Walnut 18 x 18 mm
Took me ages to make

That’s a really nice and neat coffee table!

I hope this won't cause too much gnashing of teeth because its steel work!
Having just spent 30 odd years making steel gates railings, and other fabrications, this little gadget has been with me since my first month.
Basically we have 99mm of 25 x 25 x 5mm square root angle, with two pieces of 10mm square blobbed on to it. This gives me a method of spacing measurements of 10mm, 15mm, 20mm and 25mm, from an edge, useful for finding the centers of flat bars, or hole positions for pads and brackets, without wearing out the rules on combination squares. The 99mm length is very quick check that my bar spacing on a railing does not exceed 100mm as per regs, although by using a calculator I pride myself that my bar spacing is always equal on any given panel. Similar ones have been made from other sizes of angle, so nearly every standard size measurement is covered.

Gareth

Attachments

• SAM_5126a.jpg
    SAM_5126a.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 580
  • SAM_5127a.jpg
    SAM_5127a.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 580
I suppose for us, this set of English Walnut coffee tables has to be the 'most used thing'..

IMG_2507.jpg

...as the smaller tables are used every evening, either for tea or something a little stronger. First started around 1983 and finally finished in 1998. Frames in solid walnut with 2mm thick bandsawn veneers for the tops. The fruit bowl was one of SWIMBO's impulse buys and is a cannon wheel in elm from HMS Victory, which may (who knows?) have seen action at the Battle of Trafalgar - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 570
My first though was a bread board. Then I realised that the one on the right also gets picked up daily. It’s not pretty, but it’s the result of several years development, and has all of the features I need in an electric guitar.
4pXR5uj.jpg

The first thing I ever made is the one that gets used most. It's a little side table for my armchair, just over a foot square. The joinery's rubbish (it was very much a beginner's piece) but it's rock solid and nearly every cup of tea I drink gets put on it.

Lots of things i have made get used a lot, but similar to Roland the one that gets picked up every day is my Cigar box guitar, its the one on the left, happens to be the first one of many i have made & has a wicked tone, i play it every day.
Keiths CBG's.jpg

Attachments

• Keiths CBG's.jpg
    Keiths CBG's.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 409
My workbench - a ledge and brace door recycled as a temporary lash up with some 4X2 as legs 20 years ago, I was in a hurry, and it's just until I build a proper bench, you understand.....

A 2-inch jam-cleat I carved to hold the pull cord on my workshop blind, the same time as I 'built' my bench, been used every day for 20 years, still makes me smile every time I use it, such a simple little fun project and works so perfectly the cord has never slipped so much as 1 mm

My carving mallet, turned from oak 7 years ago, not as good as the lignum vitae one I wore out before it but, like Trigger's broom, it uses the handle from the original mallet. Me? Tight?

My bookcase has been in constant use since the day it was finished, but that feels like cheating as I don't touch it daily.
So, probably a bread board.

When I was 11 I made a metal weather vane in metal work class before I was made to go all academic on yo ass and do maths, pure maths and further maths. It is still on my mum's shed almost half a century later and still works day and night. It has worked far harder than me.

Back