Most suitable saw, bandsaw, mitresaw etc....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptturner

Established Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what saw to choose for truing up a variety of wood for turning on my lathe. I will probably be looking at maximum 125mm squared x 900mm long for spindles and 300mm x 125mm rounds for bowl turning. Ideally with a mitre saw would like it to take up as little space as poss, something which can be picked up without a hernia... What are my options on bandsaws capable of a straight cut? Also I would be looking at 2ndhand no more than £200 preferably less.

Bandsaw. You will need a minimum depth of cut of 6", preferably 8" for the sizes you have quoted.

As Robbo3 says a bandsaw, it’s definitely the saw I use most for preparation of timber prior to turning.

What about achieving straight flush cuts, from my experince of using an old benchtop powerline bandsaw it was never all that great at getting flush cuts, but that could have been down to the guide. I quite like the look of some of the axminster models nice firm locking guide, compactish and dust extraction.

What 2nd hand models should I look out for with the above specs in mind?

Back