Most durable and workable timber for making windows .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
What do the forum members think is the best timber for making windows ?

Depends on the type of property and finish needed in my view. Probably oak or iroko if hardwood windows are required and a varnished or similar type of finish is needed - Rob

Do you think european oak is better for this than american white ?

Red cedar (north american)if you can get it.Lasts for decades,this is what shingles are made of.

shivers

Made 6 windows for a client 7 years ago he's just asked me to make three more so had reason to check old ones,if anything they look better now than before.
European Oak,just make sure you treat them properly.

Good luck.

This question came out of a chat I was having with JFC by PM.

WR Cedar is durable for a softwood (if you can find first growth timber, apparently that is much better), but it moves a lot which isn't a desirable quality for exterior joinery.

My only experience with oak outdoors is with firewood, where it is one of the quicker trees to go crumbly and rot despite its reputation for durability. English ships were notorious for rotting because they were made of the wrong timber... It also moves quite a lot. But it has a good reputation, and there are some interesting ideas around about how to preserve it. No idea about AWO.

I'll nominate Robinia (Black Locust), FWIW, based on lots of reading (and nothing more). Its ultra durable, good looking, very stable, non-tropical, takes a good finish apparently. The only real downside seems to be that its a small tree, so the sections are small and might need lamination. Edit: oh and availability/possibly price.

DomValente":2osccr35 said:
Made 6 windows for a client 7 years ago he's just asked me to make three more so had reason to check old ones,if anything they look better now than before.
European Oak,just make sure you treat them properly.

Good luck.

Even a (modern) softwood window should last 10-20 years if reasonably maintained. A hardwood window should be shooting for 30-40 years, absolute minimum, so 7 years is a bit early to judge isn't it?

I've Lost count of the windows I've made but here's my choices. Not in any particular order.

Western Red Cedar, makes very durable windows & outdoor items

Douglas Fir, very straight grained, excellent for doors as well.

Hemlock, another good one, and for doors as well.

These will easily last as long as Oak if treated correctly at a lower price.

imho I would forget hardwoods and as for Varnish................. :roll: :(

Interesting most timbers mentioned are softwood . Any reasons for this ?

They have natural oils/resins which makes them more weatherproof,hardwoods dont take direct sunlight so well either.

Shivers":18b2r6wh said:
They have natural oils/resins which makes them more weatherproof,

That can't be the whole story, as none of them are in the highest bracket of durability. Larch is about the best of them (with cedar) from that point of view, but they are only moderately durable really. And both are comparatively very unstable, which isn't a good thing, especially in modern joinery with its narrow tolerances to ensure air tightness.

hardwoods dont take direct sunlight so well either.

I didn't know that.
Any softwood window is going to be painted, except maybe cedar. So maybe it is really that it doesn't matter if it is going to be covered up in a UV and waterproof opaque coating?

I think with hard woods such as oak its the open grain structure that prevents durability,& holds moisture longer--therefore speeding up deterioration,whereas softwoods have resin in the grain/helping against moisture ,many of the indonesian/hardwoods also have this property--so are more suitable for exterior joinery,once oak starts to crack--it's all over with rapid deterioration occuring.

I've replaced large carraige house doors that were a hundred yrs old & made from cedar,the only reason being -that the joints had failed,but the wood was still in good shape.

regards shivers.

think of the rainforest jason :shock: :shock:

upvc

you know it makes sense

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that makes sense Mr G . But would you say iroko or Teak are better if the customer is willing to pay the extra money ?
All from a sustainable source of course :wink:

jason
try using hemlock and a couple of coats of sadolin
or even meranty {typo}
from a sustainable source of course

tree hugger
mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back