Mortiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree about the fox. I have a clone from B&Q, it's terrible.
Table moves. Hold down wiggles about....and the spring tension is so taught, it nearly throws me up in the air!!!!!!!
I think I paid about £80 a few years ago.....so I am looking to upgrade.
Have to say, that £300 axminster floor standing seems a good compromise.
What I can't get my head round is the fact that clico chisel and bit sets can set you back nearly as much as the morticer itself!
That can't be right can it?
It just doesn't seem a correct relationship in pricing between machine and chisels to me?
How can they justify it, anyone know? ( or is it just Axminsters mark up and you can buy them for less elsewhere?

Mike

I have one myself.

The side movement is a little stiff but slackens up over time, its all about good chisels though.

paulm":3dwzqclf said:
This is the one I use which seems pretty good, no real problems with it, haven't used it a whole lot yet though and haven't tried others to compare it to, but happy with it to date

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/F14651

I've had the same one for a couple of years now. I think it's good for what it is but, if I was starting out again, I'd definitely look for a mortiser with a proper clamp; it just makes things so much easier. Saying that, it has good capacities and I can get good results from it (I don't seem to do an awful lot of mortising anyway).

On the subject of bushings, I sent mine from this machine (with a 3/4" bore) off to Philly last year (with a Japanese chisel to test the fit) and he was happy to enlarge the hole to 13/16" on his metalworking lathe... Very good job he did, too - thanks again, Phil! :D

dicktimber":1j9zdpu3 said:
I agree about the fox. I have a clone from B&Q, it's terrible.
Mike

Mike, I don't think you can fairly compare an £80 B&Q clone to another make costing twice as much and assume they are identical and therefore both rubbish :roll:

If you have the Fox or have used one then fair enough, though I still strongly disagree, but there will obviously be significant cost savings on the cheap model, likely including cheap and nasty ancillary fittings like table, fence, chisels etc wouldn't you think ?

Cheers, Paul :D

I'm also considering buying a benchtop mortiser and the machine
discussed looks a strong possibility.
I also like the look of its brother, the AW16BMES, at about the same
price.
This one has feed rollers, extension wings and will take 3/4" & 13/16"
chisels.
Anybody got one of these or has any comments?

Cheers, Dave

You have a point there Paul...I just assume they were the same clone as they look the same......
I stand corrected.

Mike

dicktimber":1i82p01y said:
You have a point there Paul...I just assume they were the same clone as they look the same......
I stand corrected.

Mike

Just re-read my post Mike, didn't mean it to come across quite as it did, no offence intended !

Cheers, Paul :D

Hey Paul......

Don't worry...

well I was worried with that photo of you and that HUGE SAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care
Mike

Back