Morticer Recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stee369

Reaction score
Hello All

I plan to buy a mortiser soon, that, it is claimed can manage cuts up to 1".

Any advice regarding what to avoid, recommendations very much appreciated - Can go to £350'ish.

Cheers

Stee

That 1in generally means 1in in softwoods or 3/4in in hardwoods. There was a thread on the same subject not so long ago here which might be of use, as well as this older one. The sSedgwick 571 and Multico M1 are probably both available secondhand in the price range you are talking about and are excellent joinery shop machines.

Scrit

Hi Stee, I asked the same the same questions some time back with exactly the same budget. Same answers then as now, it's a no brainer, as already mentioned the Sedgwick 571 rules.
I took about three months searching the internet then this one came up on ebay
401976019_336702e543.jpg

I got it for £320 :lol:

Then I stripped it down and did a paint job on it

404633286_67d0a9747e.jpg

It now looks like this

405673391_718f10a38f.jpg

:lol:

Lord Nibbo - do you recall how heavy the counterbalance weight is? Mine was missing originally

Thanks,

SM

btw I'll second the compliment on the paint job.

Hmmm! How heavy? I bet Scrit knows :lol: I don't know but it must be the same or very nearly the same weight as the motor and slide bracket. Rough dimensions of the weight are 8"- 10" high and about 5" square.

Latest posts

Back