More wine anyone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Christmas is not to far away and in recent weeks I have been thinking of new items I could make for the festive period, then Chatting with Gill she gave me the perfect answer, wine bottle and glass holders. I got some finished today. I had ordered a 35mm forstner bit from Axy but not just any old forstner bit. With the saw tooth bits I already have I can drill maybe two holes and then the bit gets to hot and will burn the wood. Looking on the Axy web site i noticed a new addition to their range, they are called wave action forstner bits.

It came this morning so drilled 4 holes, one after another, it was a very quick cut and very clean as well, after 4 holes the bit was not even warm. On the ends are slots for the wine glasses and the hole made for these was 20mm. The one in the front is made from Oak and the other from Maple.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,338
Very nice Geoff and they will make lovely Christmas pressies! the Forstner bits sound interesting and will have to check them out.
Cheers
Brian
ps have you thought of incorporating a Corkscrew with your wine lovers pressie?

Are these kind of drills any use at cutting half way through wood to make a recess for a tea light or do they cut all the way through? What would be the best tool for a hole that didn't go all the way through the wood?

Hi Brian. If I still had the lathe set up I would make a corkscrew from the same wood as the wine thingy but when I moved home I did not have the room for the lathe and the scroll saw side of things. Even with the scroll saw I have 14 machines and power tools.

Stooby. These kind of drills are the very thing you need for T lights. When I make mine I set the depth stop on the pillar drill so the point of the drill leaves around 3mm of wood left on the bottom. You obviously end up with an indentation in the centre of the hole at the bottom but then this is covered by the glass T light holder. Another way of doing this, especially if you intend making quite a few would be to make up a template in MDF or plywood and make the holes using a router with a guide bush and a twin flute cutter, this would then leave the bottom of the hole clean and you can then go that little bit deeper as well.

Hi Geoff your pattern is far superior than one I was shown being sold in Spain I think.I was told the price paid and have forgot.Going to the hospital on Wenesday,will ask the nurse the price paid and email you.

Bryan

Hi Geoff your pattern is far superior than one I was shown being sold in Spain I think.I was told the price paid and have forgot.Going to the hospital on Wenesday,will ask the nurse the price paid and email you.

Bryan

It looks nice and made perfect but there is to much wood for my taste. I think the wood must be like 1/2 (1,2 cm)

Many thanks for all the comments. John. The ones I make do not tip if you remove either of the glasses, it's all down to the hole size for the bottle, in this case it's a nice snug fit so the platform stays stable but easily removed from the bottle. Today I am makinhg some that will hold four glasses.

I find that with the glass upright, the wine doesn't last long enough to need any kind of holder….

As a matter of interest can you turn the glasses over and use it as a holding tray for pouring?

i had a play a while back with some cheap strip pine from B&Q, about 2" wide and 1/2" or so high to do something similar when playing around last year with the equipment i have.

Not as polished as yours but essentially cut to length, 3 holes (1 for bottle and 1 each side), then cut the strip for the glass stem, round off with the router and looks quite good. When i was researching there were multiple variations, 4 glasses was one type and another had cutouts for carrying wine related items (ie a corkscrew/etc)

Speaking with a neighbor who has family in the US, these are almost a staple for the people there, she showed me one she was given and was very pretty, 3 different woods used and a bit of wood burning to add patterns.

I can imagine that these can be easily personalised without taking too much time to do and googling shows that they sell really well for quite a markup, just dont use B&Q pine as i ont expect that will look too good ;)

Chippygeoff":1f8nqy3h said:
Stooby. These kind of drills are the very thing you need for T lights. When I make mine I set the depth stop on the pillar drill so the point of the drill leaves around 3mm of wood left on the bottom. You obviously end up with an indentation in the centre of the hole at the bottom but then this is covered by the glass T light holder.

Another method is to grind/file off the centre of the forstner so the base doesnt have the pin mark.

I dont know if this would work, but the other method i to have 2 forstners, 1 with and 1 without, so once you get near the end, swap and the existing hole will guide the pinless one so you get it flat.

And as said, use a router template, but depending on where you do the work this may be a lot noisier and more work than a pillar drill :)

Back