More recent turnings (by Duncan)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on a roll so thought I'd better take photos of as many things as I could whilst I was at it...

Magnolia
26cm square
finish is Ronseal 'Ultra Tough' clear varnish watered down with white spirits.

I got this blank at a wood sale day at our club as it has very interesting colours and I'd never turned it before. I also bought a deeper piece which looks to have some nice rippling in it. This was turned first just to get a feel for the wood. It turns very nicely with lovely peeling shavings. It's a little soft so was hard to sand without leaving any marks.
I had intended to put a couple of grooves in the reverse to match the front but it had warped too much.

I saw the finish used on a Chris Stott video and thought I'd give it a go here.

As Graham said, simple and appealing. Not so easy to get as well finished and even though IME. Colouring looks like a discrete laburnum.

You've got some nice pieces tucked away Duncan, keep 'em coming please.

Pete

Keep the roll going Duncan :D
Never heared of Magnolia been turned before and didn't think you could get it that size :shock:
As Pete says does look like Laburnum.Pity about the other piece :roll:

Something completely different...

I've had some offcuts of burr elm for a while now with not much idea of what to do with them. Here's my first effort

11cm wide, 12cm high with lid on
The base and the lid are from 2 different pieces

The base was turned using a glue block with paper join, with the block held on a screw chuck. The lid was the trickiest part as there was no way to hold it in a chuck to hollow out inside. I ended up doing it between centres and hollowing it with a spindle gouge, leaving a small nub to remove with a knife.

I like the result and I'll be doing more. My original plan had been to have several boxes and lids in the same piece of wood, so I may try that next time.

Nice idea;like the shape,works well :D - I've had a couple of pieces of burr elm,and it's always a challenge to find something to make out of them to retain the beauty and character of the timber - you definitely succeeded!

Andrew

Again, something different...

My brother had twins (or at least his partner did!) before xmas and we're having a celebratory bbq this weekend. What an good excuse for a woodturning gift :D I remembered a demo at the club for baby rattles so gave it a go...

Made from hawthorn (which is a beautiful wood to turn)
18cm long
Burnished wood with small amount of bees/carnauba wax
small bells inside

The body has ~3mm wall thickness - the holes are there as an aid to gauge thickness whilst turning as well as decoration to let the sound out.

Well done Duncan, those are some of the neatest I have seen.
And your choice of wood in my experience is perfect for the task.

Superb Duncan :D Yet again.Just amazed at the quality of your work time after time.
I have to agree that Hawthorne is one of my favourite timbers that i've used and do have some pieces left.Must get round to using it :roll:
My twins were born xmas eve 16 years ago :shock:
Wheres the time gone going,:roll:

Excellent gift for your nice/nephews, a real keeper for them I'm sure.

Great quality craftsmanship too, lovely sentiment.

Beautiful work Duncan, as has been said great style and shape. A lot better then the c*** you buy in the shops today. A great keep-sake for the young-ins.

A great gift Duncan, I'm sure they will be very pleased.

I spent some time viewing your gallery too from the picture link. Quite an amazing array of items you have made. More for the to do list !

Saying that, I'm the father of twins aged 7.5 and at this rate after I finish running around after them for skating lessons, Swimming lessons and now the latest craze football lessons! I don't have that much time to turn :)

Cheers

santiniuk":1omwbruw said:
.......Saying that, I'm the father of twins aged 7.5 and at this rate after I finish running around after them for skating lessons, Swimming lessons and now the latest craze football lessons! I don't have that much time to turn .........

It's just practice for the sessions over the next 30-40 yrs doing the same with the Grandkids :lol:

Latest posts

Back