More recent turnings (by Duncan)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something different for me again, and I mentioned the technique in another thread so thought I'd better post it...

click for larger image

Elm. 39cm x 6cm.
The texturing is done with the lathe stationary and the spindle locked. A circular wire brush in a drill is applied along the grain. This removes the soft wood and leaves the harder wood so the grain is still visible but gives a sand blasted effect. When the finish (Danish Oil) is applied this textured area ends up slightly darker and accentuates the effect.

The top side is worked in 3 steps...
1 - turn the rim and sand so that there are no tool marks - don't think that the texturing will hide any concentric lines that the tools may have left ,
2 - turn the centre. Doing this second should mean that you can create a definite step or separation between the textured and smooth areas.
3 - sand the centre section.

The bottom was worked similarly.
After sanding there will be a lot of dust in the textured pores and this needs removing before oil is applied. I used a small airbrush but I guess a brush would probably work.

Like that treatment Duncan, beats the two days I have been struggling to make a bit of rogue grain comply with my wishes, unfortunately the bit of beech involved does not have the distinctive character of your piece to be any better if treat thus.

Memo to self, must get some clean wire wheels, mine are all contaminated with metal and oil debris.

I haven't posted anything for a while so here's the first of a few things I've worked on since the last time...

It's poplar burr.
19cm diameter, 10cm high. The hole is 3cm. Thickness is about 5mm throughout but it's difficult measuring.

This is the most time consuming hollow form that I've produced as I could only turn for about 30 seconds before I had to stop the lathe, withdraw the tool, vacuum out shavings, re-insert tool and continue. I don't think I'll be using such a small entrance as this in the future.

Hollowing tools used were the Munro tool, the Sorby multi-tip hollower and a tooth-pick hollower which I fitted onto the end of a home-made extension to the Munro tool.
The inside is sanded to almost as good a finish as the outside using another home-made tip on the Munro tool. I was pleased that I went to the trouble of this as the first thing everyone at the club did when I showed it was to feel inside :)

The finish is Chestnut finishing oil (3 coats I think) and then buffed.

Now the trouble is knowing how much to try to sell it for...

Duncan

lovely wood Duncan, price??? think of a number and double it... aim at the discerning buyer unless you want a quick sale :wink:

Have you tried a bendy drinking straw to blow out the debris? ...if you do try it make sure you have eye protection. Maybe you need a new toy...cheapie compressor?

Different scales... I use a camera lens puffer :lol:

I've used tube to blow out shavings in the past but forgot! I'm not sure it would work in this case due to the size of the hole and the angle where the top meets the body

Very nice,Duncan - lovely piece of timber ,and like the "ripple" pattern on the top.
And admire your patience in hollowing it :D

Andrew

In my thread you said somwething about wishing you were as productive.....I wish I was as good. I think your quality beats my quantity hands down. Hollowing that flat top must have been a right pig let alone sanding it. Still struggling on that front.....something to aspire. Please post more for us newbies to get inspiration from

Pete

Duncan.
Although you don't post your work often the wait is worth waiting for :D
That is another amazing piece,i don't think that there isn't a piece of yours that i can't say i'm not keen on,that i've seen.
Timber is always nice and the style and finish are excellent.
All beautiful stuff.
Lets see some more and often.

Great display piece Duncan, showing both the beauty of nature at its best and your ability to manipulate it to good effect.

I know that the hollow form must've been much harder & requires a lot more skill to execute - but I really love the simple lines of the platter, great method of highlighting an already beautiful grain pattern.
I'm certainly going to try that soon.

Thanks for the comments everyone

Pete - sanding inside the flat top was actually much easier than hollowing it. I finally realised that I could make a sanding tip for the Munro tool with a couple of bits of plywood and some stick on velco.

Here are the first of several pieces of laburnum that I've been working on. They're the first time I've tried such wings on natural edge pieces and were the the best way (I think) to make the most out of the crotch figure.

Circular part is 19cm diameter, 8cm deep. Wing is ~4mm thick
Finish is Chestnut finishing oil

Circular part is 16cm diameter, 8cm deep. Wing is ~4mm thick
Finish is Chestnut finishing oil

I was aiming to get a pretty rounded base on both bowls and to display them on a torus so they can be angled to get the best view of the wing. Didn't quite get the right curvature, and I haven't made the bases yet.

Both were turned wet-ish. There has been very slight cracking where the sap wood meets the round body on both but it's not major and appears to have stopped.

I've run out of superlatives... luv 'em both, there's something almost surreal about a bowl in a slice of trunk... wish I'd thought of that :wink:

Well Duncan another 2 stunners.Fantastic idea.
Same as Graham here just don't know what to say.
Think i'm becoming a fan :D
How long do you spend on your finishing :?:
How long had you had the Laburnum for before turning it,as i have just acquired some nice pieces of it :?:

Good Lord ! Now THERE'S two pictures to remind someone just how much of a beginner he is , when he looks at his own efforts !... :lol:
Duncan, those are absolutely breathtaking.
They have to live together for ever ... don't allow the 'Bowl brothers' to become separated.. they belong as a pair in perpetuity.
What fabulous work.... truly brilliant. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Absolutely gorgeous work Duncan. You have really shown the beauty of that timber.

Back