More recent turnings (by Duncan)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
loz":3bqg5nbl said:
Pete,

Would you happen to know how to make Fenders for Narrow Boats ???

I've been looking for a tutorial !

Thanks

Loz

I presume you mean this type.

Basically fenders are mats which are plaited around a coil of rope or an old tyre, anything really that is hard enough to give it shape but has some bounce. You will need a reasonable size cordage and sisal would be ideal unless you want to go posh with cotton which would cost a fortune. I don't know of any sites that have tutorials but a good book is the knot makers bible.

It's called 'The Book of Knots' by Clifford W. Ashley. It's not cheap, probably about £40 by now but if you want to do any kind of knotwork it's the bees knees.

Duncan: If you are going to colour rope / cord etc, make sure that it isn't oiled as some cordage is if it is for a nautical use.
Pete

ThanKs Pete - i'll have a look on amazon for old copies

Regs

Loz

After looking at this bowl for a while and after the comments on the original version I decided to re-work the rope and knots.

I much prefer this version so thanks for the original comments.

For anyone else that doesn't know - when you buy manila rope (and possibly other types) the diameter is that of the original manufacturing process and the rope will no longer be that size. I had to buy 6mm to go through the 8mm holes

Duncan

I'd go along with this version Duncan, looks a little more rustic but a little less contrived in my eyes because of it.

I recently sold two square bowls to a customer, and she wants another - this is the third attempt, the first she didn't like because of the 'cracks', the second because 'the edge wasn't finished properly' (it had dried a bit and become a little wavy). Hopefully one of these will do the job, from bought blanks so hopefully stable, alright so far after two days in the house. let me know what you think.

2999968413_9b3fd15941_m.jpg

2999968401_8079f15c2f_m.jpg

2999968435_86bd4feb4c_m.jpg

2999968439_f453bfe840_m.jpg

they look really good- pity the photos arent a bit bigger as i would have really liked a closer look at them especially the top one :)

Pete , I like these a lot , cant see why your customer is so fussy :?

After all wood is wood and has its own character :lol:

As it was a living thing it will do its own thing , thats what I like about it .

Who pays for all the rejected bowls :?: :?

Luv' 'em all Pete, some really nice forms. Know what you mean by her asking for another when she finds a small blemish. I don't know why they don't buy plastic bowls if they feel like that, but I suppose the customer is always right ](*,)

tMany thanks for the kind comments - Igood to get some reassurance occasionally! I prefer the larger one (the one without the enlarged pictures) as the other is a bit too in-your-face for me.

I like them all Pete.
As turners we all know that wood has defects and voids, and these are often what gives a turning it's character. Any none turner who knows nothing about the process is likely to see any blemish and think that it's down to an mistake by the turner. Unfortunately if they still think that after the process has been explained then there's nothing we can do, and they're the ones with the money :-(

I once did a turning for an order and finished it with my standard non-glossy finish using Chestnut finishing oil as that's the look which I prefer. The customer wanted it shiny so I had to buff it up.

By the way Pete - this thread has so far had turnings posted to it by me, and was intended as an ongoing record of some of my work. I guess the thread title didn't make that clear so I've changed it (or I'll try to).
It probably a good idea to start your own thread to make your work easier to find in the future

Duncan

Here's something recent that I tried when I had to remove a crack that I found in the wall of a bowl as I was approaching final wall thickness

27cm diameter mahogany

Smoothly done Duncan, the rescue does not look obtrusive, which it could easily have done on a piece with such fine lines.

Back