More musle power required!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Harding

Established Member
Reaction score
so my new saw has just arrived, managed to get it into place in the workshop from the 7.5 tonner it arrive on using a lot of dumb luck and a pallet truck, but now i have no clue how to get it off the pallet.

It weighs a absolute tonne and i have access to only three people to help, any bright ideas?

Luke

Hi,

Set fire to the pallet :D

Build a ramp and slide it off, or jack it up and cut the pallet away.

Pete

Hi Luke,
How heavy is the monster?
If you can't sort or walk it off on to boards an inch or so bellow the pallet's level and then off those boards on to lower ones etc. until it's on the floor you could try an engine hoist. If that doesn't work block and tackle off a tripod is pretty useful I've made them from scaffold poles and telegraph poles in the past. Can never remember which is which gins or shears but bot are/were v effective lifting mechanisms.

HTH
T

Luke
Check if it is bolted to the pallet - I've made this mistake in the past and spent hours trying to get machinery off the pallet to find its bolted to it.
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

When I got my hegner lathe that was bolted to the palet and so was my fox morticer but the morticer was unpacked to get it home in the car

Philly":1lg9tv1f said:
Luke
Check if it is bolted to the pallet - I've made this mistake in the past and spent hours trying to get machinery off the pallet to find its bolted to it.
Hope this helps,

I love the image this conjures up and I know I'd do exactly the same though I'd probably have given myself a hernia before looking for bolts! :lol:

Hire a fold up engine hoist from your local hire shop . one on wheels lift it up . roll it around to the position you require , lower into position

Jobs a good un :wink:

and you still have a back :p

:deer :ho2 :deer

Second hire / buy an engine hoist. I bought a 1/2 ton one for £60 and still use occasionally to move kit around the workshop when needed.

Lateral thinking, I remember seeing how they put a large statue in place. They slung it into positin and then lowered it onto 4 bags of granulated sugar. Removed the slings and flushed the sugar away.

This time of year, just, perhaps a block of ice instead of sugar. Although you may not be able to use the machine untill April :lol:

xy

Philly":lv3pudbm said:
Luke
Hope this helps,

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt!!

Are you able to dismantle at all? Can make a huge difference if you can get some of the weightier bits off.

cheers guys,

unless there is an extra magic hidden bolt, ive sorted that. I can just about lift one corner a few mm so it is at least free.

Ive rounded up some troops for the weekend, so i guess its going to be all hands on deck and a bruit force and fingers crossed approach

Luke

I am obviously way out of touch, but I always believed that when you pay that sort of money for a Felder K700, or any other equivalent priced saw from another manufacturer, that they delivered the equipment and commissioned it :oops: I mean even Metabo offer this service on a simple £1,000 machine. Alright with them you have to pay for it, but for the money that you are paying Felder I would have thought that this would be free.

Oh well things are not what they used to be. Enjoy you new saw.

Cheers

Mike

Beats me! I've just spent part of the afternoon helping son and heir deliver and install a washing machine. We had to move furniture to get to the kitchen, remove the old machine then dismantle half the sink unit to get to the waste pipe!

Roy.

Agreed i think they should have done this too, (there was an argument in the showroom about it!) but apparently all they will do is deliver it and place it (on a pallet wherever you want it (and you pay our the a*se for that)

Im very pleased with the saw (so far, as it is still on the pallet and not really been used yet!) but felder customer services could of been better. (nothing in particular, but just generally average at most things, and the salesman became a bit rude when it came to negotiation on price (of which they basically wouldnt move!)

Luke

As I understood it they do, or at least did, commission their stuff, but it is an extra (some more industrial people might not want or need any assistance, so fair enough separating it out as an item). Has that changed, or was the fee what the argument in the salesroom was about?

Remember the power of levers...strong iron bars...fulcrum blocks...that sort of thing. Then wedges....and rollers....let mechanics move stuff rather than broken backs!

Preparation here is the key...lots of it before you bring the brawn in.

I know it doesn't help much but the techniques in this video are quite amazing and logical!!!

Moving Heavy Objects....STONEHENGE?

Jim

i move a 3/4-1 tonn machine on my own with a pallet just got some 3x3 or 4x4 i think it was and put them down underneath and then pulled the truck out.

the machine permanently sits on them so make sure they are square lol or youll always have a wonky tool.

george

Back