More logs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes.The wife wanted to go and have a gander at the tree surgeons bark chippings,that i told her about last week. :shock: for the play area.
Obviously i didn't need asking twice so off we went.Quick look at the chippings and i was soon looking over at the logs.
Had anything new in this i asked.
Yes have a look.
So i did and spotted what i thought was Holly.
Is this Holly.
Yes that came in yesterday.Theres some more here.
So we sorted it all out,and it went in the back of the motor.
Also picked out a piece of Beech,and a big chunk of Oak.
How much for this lot.
Give us a fiver.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Now which is the best way to store the Holly.
Cut it up,leave it as is standing up on end :?:
Paul.J.

" Now which is the best way to store the Holly. "

you can drop it of with me :p

and I will store it 4 U :lol: :lol:

know what i mean :wink: :wink:

I cut down some holly, the other week and was told i could green turn it, but it cracked horribly. so dont bother.

Ive just sealed mine and left it in the outhouse at the bottom of the garden.

I am finding it far more complicated to figure out about different woods and how to dry them than the turning! #-o We do have a tree surgeon near us so I will have to get round there sometime and see if I can't find something to learn on! I have a friend who is thinking about chopping down a holly tree, it looks so good turned!! I will have to bear in mind how to treat it! :-k

Thanks for the replies all.
I have read and been told Holly is difficult to dry,but i had some given me some time back that had been cut down for a while and left whole.
Some of it still split but it did turn lovely,which is why when i saw it i thought i'd have it.
I suppose it's like trying to dry any sort timber,each piece is different so will dry different i should think :? Pot luck i suppose.

Mrs.S. wrote.
I am finding it far more complicated to figure out about different woods and how to dry them than the turning!
Yes Mrs.S. it is a bit confusing to start,but well worth the effort i think when you have a nice piece that as been turned all been done from log to finish by yourself.
Lot of work involved though and more tools :shock:
Paul.J.

Back