More further work in progress update.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzeman

Established Member
Reaction score
To Glue

To+Glue.jpg

What’s in To Glue

Contents+of+to+glue.jpg

To Sand.

To+Sand.JPG

What’s in To Sand

Contents+of+To+Sand.jpg

To Sharpen

To+Sharpen.jpg

What’s in To Sharpen.

Contents+of+to+Sharpen.jpg

To Measure

To+Measure.jpg

What’s in To Measure.

Contents+of+To+Measure.jpg

Further to my W.I.P. on my new bench there is another project to which I have added to improve my efficiency and that is the drawers beneath my Power Tool Cabinet which I started some three years ago. To re-cap, the objective of the cabinet was to take all those Power Tools from under the bench covered in sawdust and chippings and eliminate those intertwining cables. The dream to just reach out and grip the required tool, plug it in, use it and then put it back into its slot. This is working OK in a fashion as I tend to use some of the tools out side and not at the bench. When taking a tool out I found the cable tidies useful. The top centre pocket was dedicated for my smoothing planes, not power tools but I do require them to be at arms length and out of the way with protection for the sharp blades. I believe, or think, the smoothing plane is the most used tool in my kit and certainly one I cherish.
Following this theme of sharp blades I do like to sharpen my tools as I work particularly when I first use it bringing it down from its pigeon hole. That is just give a couple of strokes on the stone, a few circular rubs on its back face and three or for strops on the hand. Most important set the back plate adjusting for hardwood or softwood then on putting it back into the plane, adjusting the screw to the feel of my fingers along the sole plate. A similar process with chisels. These are in a rack at the back of the bench under the power tool case all in easy reach and without thinking I will take out the required chisel, rub my thumb over the business end and regardless if requires sharpening will proceed to search for the oil stone and can of oil.

This is all leading up to setting up a sharpening station. Again I need my sharpening gear at arms length and the ideal place for this is one of the drawers, second from the right. Giving some thought I decided a dummy drawer front hinged as a flap. It works brilliantly, I keep all the essential sharpening items in the slot, slip stones for sharpening gouges and moulding plane irons, paste for the Tormec stone including holding grips and the three grades of diamond grit stones. All the items I used to search for not remembering where I last put them. I extended this principle to the other items I lost or could not lay my hands on such as when I am gluing up. I always have the bottle of glue to hand but where are those brushes? Or when I find one it hadn’t been washed out and is now rock hard, useless and has to be thrown away! Pencils are another along with where is that rule or those dividers? Sand paper sheets for the palm sander. When you open the packet they get every where and when you get one its always the wrong grade. So this is where I am with my own personnel tidying problems and I hate all those people that work in pristine workshops with no dust or shavings about as on UTube and television.
PS still miss you Norm.

Latest posts

Back